Sunday, October 08, 2006

I nailed it!









My SCBWI speech was a tremendous success, as was the break-out workshop. I opened with a joke based upon my personal experiences doing public speaking, and the room erupted in laughter and applause. That happened several times throughout the short speech, it was very cool, actually.

In my travels to conferences and literary festivals, I've had the fortunate opportunity to meet many authors and illustrators. I felt at home, knowing so many people.

At lunch, I sat next to artist/author extraordinaire, Janee Trasler, an old friend from the blogosphere, whom I met in person for the first time. Other friends I ran into: The wonderful Anastasia Suen, Jan Peck, Willie Welch, Shirly Duke, Alan Stacy, Sue Ward, and so many others, who I'm not leaving out intentionally.

Diane Roberts
, whom I met earlier this year at ALA, and who invited me to speak, introduced me as, "The good looking Don Tate." Ok, I'm hip to that!

My only regret is that I arrived so late that I wasn't able to attend the pre-conference dinner Friday evening. Saturday, I was in such a zone that I wasn't very sociable. I never even introduced myself to the other guests: Nancy Mercado (Hot!), Andrea Menotti (Sweet), Libba Bray (Refreshing), and Lori Nowicki (All about the business).

In an attempt to beat the Texas vs. Oklahoma football crowd back to Austin, I had to leave before the Saturday, post conference dinner. I did beat the traffic — problem is, for two hours, I was lost in a black hole east of Forth Worth. It got so bad, that at one point, because I was so sleepy, I considered pulling my car over, locking the doors and waiting the night out until I had some sleep. And sunlight. Anyway, I did find my way, with the help of my cell phone, my wife, Google, and a large cup of coffee.

*Sorry I only have pictures of myself, but I really was out of it.

13 comments:

Kim said...

YAY! I knew you would nail it!

Love the new hair!

janee said...

You were GREAT, Don! Very entertaining and polished.

You DID nail it. :-)

Susan Taylor Brown said...

Fabulous, Don. Sounds like a great time all around. Congrats.

rindambyers said...

Yay!!!! You DID IT! And the best part?!! It will never, never, NEVER be that awful for you before-hand ever again! The next time, you will be ENJOYING the anticipation....

Susan Taylor Brown said...

A blog feed is something that allows me to read your blogger blog via my friends page on LiveJournal. So I've been trying to set up feeds for all the non LJ blogs I read so I can read them in one place. I still need to go to the original blog to post, but that's okay.

Melinda said...

Good job! I'm glad you went out and kicked it in the tail! Wish I could have seen it, but alas I'm stuck in Missouri.

Chris Barton said...

Congrats, Don!

Lisa Yee said...

You started off with applause? Niiiice!!!

Roz said...

Jealous! I would have loved to have been there to see your presentation. Congratulations on a job well done, Don!

JJ said...

As a fellow introvert, I was nervous for you....
Glad you did so well - you give me hope that I, too, might be able to get up and speak before a crowd.
Do you think it will be easier the next time?
What's the one thing that really made you succeed?
Congratulations!

JJ

Don Tate II said...

JJ, to answer your question, I'd say practice, practice, practice. That paid off. You'll notice I wasn't as smooth on the q and a panel because, of course, I can't practice answering a question prior to getting up there. By remembering the speech, it gave me the freedom to improvise, and animate, and mess up without getting flustered.

Gregory K. said...

I dunno, Don, knowing you as well as I do (and you KNOW how well that is!), I just couldn't imagine you NOT nailing it. Sure, you know yourself better... but still, how about I say I'm just not surprised. But congrats indeed!

Anonymous said...

I am so so SOOOO sorry I missed your talk! Sounds like you did an amazing job. But of course! :)