Saturday, September 16, 2006

I'm dizzy

My head is spinning. I just spent the last hour studying grammar websites. I'm trying to understand when to use, or not to use, a comma. <-----did I punctuate that wrong? Gosh, I really don't know. I blog fairly frequently, and I've known for quite some time about my issues with grammar and punctuation. But I decided not to let it keep me from writing. I mean, fears of getting it all wrong, making myself look stupid, is what kept me from writing for so long in the first place. So, rather than quit writing, I'm gonna work on correcting my grammar and punctuation. Lemme see. Use a comma to separate two complete sentences separated by a conjunction. What's a conjunction? A conjunction joins words, phrases or independent clauses. What the heck's an independent clause? Boy, I miss the Electric Company.

2 comments:

linbinwrites said...

Speaking of the Electric company (which I watched but never really learned much from)Try School house rock. They were originally segments in between shows, I guess in the 70s. Once you hear those catchy little ditties they really stick with you. They have songs on grammar and multiplication and even some on American history ( I can recite the preamble to the Constitution because of School house rock when I was a kid).

Conjunction, junction, what's your function is a classic. Interjection also plays through my mind and mentions your friend the comma.

They have the a lot of the songs/cartoons on one DVD now. Our library has it too.

rindambyers said...

Maybe it would be all less confusing if you just got and stuck to two grammar books: Strunk and White's little book and The Gregg Reference Manual (you can look things up SO easily in that, several different ways, and it has larger print and lies flat in spiral bound notebook)

There are literally dozens of comma rules. And hyphen rules. And capitalization rules. I rely on my grammar books to help me out. I let them do the hard work for me!

Conjunction: and/or/but

Command sentence:
Go to the store.

Regular sentence:

I went to the store.

Sentences (which are independent clauses also)
joined by conjunctions:

Go to the store, and get me some bread.

Go to the store, or I will call your mother.

I went to the store, but I didn't get the bread.

I'm in trouble, and I don't know what I did wrong.

A command sentence is special. It has an implied subject (you) that is not written down in the sentence.

Just think of your mother telling you to do things. (a command sentence, BTW)

Those are command sentences. (a regular sentence by the way).

A sentence must have both a subject and a verb even if, sometimes, in command sentences, the subject is invisible or implied.

Dependent clauses are missing either a subject or a verb.

So this way now, you can always, always, hereafter know for absolute certain what a sentence is and what a sentence is not. That's the first thing you absolutely need to know how to do to know how to put the rest of the stuff in, okay? Besides the fact that a sentence IS a an independent clause! Same thing

Best to you.....