Wednesday, August 30, 2006

No voice

Dallas' SCBWI fall conference, in which I am a speaker, is only a month away, and I'm getting very concerned. Not because of my public speaking fears, that's a whole other blog. But because I'm having some voice issues. Two days ago, I completely lost my voice and today, it's not much better.

As far as getting sick, catching my daughter's stomach bug, I thought I was out of the woods. But, a few days ago, I started waking up in the middle of the night with a raw throat and a lot of congestion. My chest burned, and I had trouble breathing. Between that, and a loving, but nagging wife, I went to see a doctor. I thought maybe I had bronchitis or a bad chest cold, no big deal. But the doctor confirmed that I have acid reflux, and it's been eating away at my esophagus, including my voice box.

He says that my voice may come back, but not without some lifestyle changes. No coffee, tea, or late night eating. That will be difficult because I love coffee (a pot is brewing right now), and I normally work till 11 p.m. When I get home, I'm ready for dinner, then it's off to bed. No more large meals or carbonated beverages. I love big ole hamburgers, and Mountain Dew. No booze, which is really not a big thing since I went on beer diet about 4 months ago. And I have to elevate my bed 6-inches at the headboard so everything in my stomach will stay where it's supposed to.

In other news: I recently learned that my licensing agent, Suzanne Cruise, will be speaking here in Austin at our SCBWI fall conference. That's very exciting. Though I've been working with Suzanne for more than 10 years, I first met her at SCBWI Los Angeles, last month. She mentioned wanting to come to Austin, and I mentioned our conference. After a bit of finagling, it all worked out, and now she will be speaking to our artist with an interest in licensing their art outside of the world of children's publishing.

5 comments:

heather lorin said...

Love your blog and illustrations! Sorry to hear about the reflux. I have it too and take daily medication. Doing smaller portions and not eating within a couple of hours of going to bed - both made a huge difference for me. And, while I'm loving it in the moment, I always regret it when I indulge in caffeine and chocolate. Good luck :)

Kim said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your voice! Hopefully you'll be able to make the necessary changes easily and will feel better soon.

rindawriter said...

Didn't that doctor of yours give you ANY medication? I am surprised at that. You could ask your pharmacist for something over-the-counter. Will they let you drink decaf? If they do, Starbucks makes the only decent one around that I've found. HOpe it all gets better soon....

rindawriter said...

Didn't that doctor of yours give you ANY medication? I am surprised at that. You could ask your pharmacist for something over-the-counter. Will they let you drink decaf? If they do, Starbucks makes the only decent one around that I've found. HOpe it all gets better soon....

Dee said...

Sorry about the reflux also. A coworker of mine has it, and she hasn't been very happy about the withdrawal from her favorite vices...even with the loss of pain.
On another note, I will be attending the Austin conference, and am VERY interested in licensing. I'm glad to see who managed to wrangle such an exciting speaker for the event. Thanks in advance!