Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Another highlight from SCBWI

As the result of a misunderstanding, I returned home from SCBWI with a piece of art from a very cool, bow tie wearing author/illustrator, Scott Franson. While in route to the airport on a Super Shuttle, we swapped contact information, then he unwrapped a package. He opened it up, and handed me this beautiful piece of art, saying, "I'd like to show you a piece of my art." I misunderstood, thinking he said, "I'd like to give you a piece of my art." Don't ask me why my ears heard something entirely different than what he said, but following a very embarrassing exchange he, in fact, offered to give it to me. "Really, I want you to have it. Why not?" he said. So, I am the owner of a Scott E. Franson original! This exquisite, wordless picture book, Un Brella, is rendered entirely in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, and will release with Roaring Brook Press in the spring of 2007. Kinda reminds me of my My Peepz, but with much, much more detail.

And speaking of wordless picture books, at one of the sessions I attended, an author posed a very good question: If an author has an idea for a wordless picture book, but isn't an artist, how would she/he go about submitting it to an editor? No one had an answer.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Thanks for the great recaps. It sounds like you had a ton of fun! I really hope (As in...I'm planning on it!) to go next year.

I enjoyed reading everyone's notes and looking at all the pics. Not the same as being there, but pretty darn good!