Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Yes, you may take my photo, but...

Got an interesting email today. It was from Harcourt. They'd like to arrange a photo shoot of me here in Austin. As you might've guessed, a brotha kinda liked that. I'm flattered, honored, supercilious, ghetto fabulous, you name it.

Thing is, I'm not photogenic. Cameras aren't very nice to me. Publicity photos, such as the one in the upper right hand corner of this blog, have the benefit of being retouched in Photoshop. That melanin pigment on the white of my right eye? Gone! with a single click of my mouse. Sweaty nose shine? Gone! Bad afro day? Fixed! Grey hair? Dyed, but sometimes the grey hairs get photographed anyway, but — gone! I won't have any control over a photo taken by someone else, and when it comes to photos of myself, I'm a control freak.

I've welcomed them to send a photographer, of course, however, I've requested to see the photo first. No kidding. One time, a pretty nasty photo of me ran on the inside cover of an anthology, and I about died every time I opened the book, partly because it was the 80s, and I was wearing a bad Michael Jackson hairdo, but mostly because it was just plain ugly.

Now, stop laughing at me.

4 comments:

rindambyers said...

How come that Lemony Snickett guy never has HIS photos on HIS books...and I want to know what they do for photos if the author has a pen name?

Yeah!! I wnat to know, I want to know, I want to KNOW!

I'M STILL OFFICIALLY ON BLOG BREAK BUT PUT SOME MORE LINKIE'S UP ON MY BLOG ANYWAY.....it is FUN fiddling with software...

ManNMotion said...

When the photographers shows up have an impostor ready to have their picture taken in your place. Not only will it be really, really funny, you will eventually want to get caught once it's gone on a while because it will make you unbelievably famous in the publishing world. One just can't buy that kind of press.

Varian Johnson said...

Do you need a stand-in? For some reason, people tend to think we look alike....

And Rinda, if you're really looking for Limony Snicket's real name and picture, I found a link on about.com.

Melinda said...

So, if I met you, you'd look like ... someone else? Hm!!

Lately, I've noticed that my own face, in photographs, looks like that of a Russian peasant woman, and not the pleasant peasant either.

News break: my five-year-old just ran outside without any clothes on. She just wanted to see her Daddy (he just came home) and just finished up with her bath a moment ago ... I heard her feet run down the hall and heard the door slam and thought OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fun.