Sunday, July 16, 2006

Reconsidering MySpace

I consider myself net savy. I have half dozen or more email accounts, a website and a blog. I've discovered the good, bad and the ugly while cruising the net. But there's one place I've avoided like the plague, that's MySpace.

I first became familiar with MySpace about eight months ago through working at the newspaper. Various stories started popping up on newswires about adults who met children through their MySpace blogs. Whatever MySpace was, I didn't want my name, or IP address associated with it. But lately, I've been having second thoughts.

According to Publisher's Weekly, at this year's Licensing 2006, the emphasis was on the tween market. Actually, this market has been hot for quite some time now, which is why my licensing agent advised me some three years ago to create art that appeals to the demographic. MyPeepz®, a property that I developed, and is designed to appeal to tweeners, children, ages 8 to 12, debuted at Licensing last year, but thus far doesn't have a major supporter — I need a Disney or Nickelodeon — so, MySpace might be just the way to get the word out.

I just visited MySpace for the first time; it looks rather innocent, as compared to even a typical image search on Google. Just as anything else, it's probably as innocent, or deviant, as the person behind it. I think MySpace may be another one of those little things I've allowed to mushroom into some sort of monster. Either that, or now that I've found a possible commercial purpose, I'm starting to rationalize.

Whatever, I'm gonna sit on this awhile, no quick decisions.

5 comments:

ManNMotion said...

Is anyone signed up on mypeepz? If so, sounds like myspace might want to buy you out. Or you could see if it grows...and then they might want to buy you out. And then there are those intellectual property right issues that we know about. You might have to change your name to Deva$$$ T someday soon!

fusenumber8 said...

As far as I can tell, MySpace recently made it impossible for adults and kids to become "friends" on their website. There were some legal issues at work, I guess. Still, I wonder what authors who have pages are going to do now.

rindambyers said...

Switch to Xanga.com.

I'm wondering if putting your things in an independent store that has "cool" stuff for this age group in big mall in a big city would start a buzz for you. Girls in this age do nothing but talk, talk, talk, look, talk, socialize, fiddle with new clothes, new things, new styles, but a lot of them aren't doing that sort of thing on Myspace either, I mean they're not oriented that way. They're too active still and too focused on real live friends and social groups. And really too young to be blogging, frankly. My website, Xanga, reuqires an age of 13 to use their free blogging software. But my oh my do girls in this age group LOVE to look at stuff in stores and do the shopping thing!

Susan Taylor Brown said...

I guess maybe I went about myspace a different way. I never went looking for the kids. I went looking for the librarians and teachers and booksellers and that's what I've found. Shrug.

rindambyers said...

Apparently, Harry P. did. Look for the kids. It's how he got famous...and how
J. K. Rowling
turned
into
a
BILLIONAIRE! At least that's what hubbie told me she's now worth...