Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Watercolors revisited



It's been about 12 years since I've used watercolors. I don't know why I stopped using the medium; I absolutely love them.

Above, I'm working an illustration for the debut of GO! a new Scholastic children's health magazine. I wanted to try something different, so I pulled out the old watercolor tubes. Most of them were dried up, so I had to buy new ones. I settled for student grade, though, honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.

What I like about this medium is how quickly I can work a painting. I started and finished this painting in one day. Had I used oils, or acrylics, it would have taken me three.

I'm curious if the folks at Paraclete would mind if I paint the upcoming Walter Wangerin Jr. book in water colors. They selected me as the illustrator based upon my work in SUMMER SUN RISIN', which was done in oil and acrylic. But, because of the time crunch, and my desire to try something new, I'm leaning toward using water colors. This would be my first picture book to be illustrated in this medium.

1 comment:

rindambyers said...

I'm going to have to learn more about watercolors. PROBABLY, I need to get the kind that comes in tubes and not the little kids' paint boxes I can get at the drug store...??? And thicker paper??? I've owned one set of tubes of watercolors in my life...I am afraid I painted a whole bunch of scraps of white silk with them...it was FUN!