Sunday, June 04, 2006

Library of Congress webcasts

Got a minute? No? An hour? Good. Check out the Library of Congress' webcasts of selected authors from the National Book Festival. Already seen it? Well, probably so; I'm kinda late. Regardless, I just spent the last hour watching a presentation given by Christopher Paul Curtis. What an inspiring speaker.

Also, I checked out Floyd Cooper, who inspired me with some great ideas for my summer presentations at Austin Public Libraries — my first one, Tuesday June 5th, Carver Branch. Floyd has the children make a scribble on a large sketch pad. Then he creates a drawing from it. Normally, I do caricatures, which goes over well, but takes about 5 to 8 minutes per child. That's an hour to your typical 7-year-old.

2 comments:

rindambyers said...

When I was little, there was a Bangkok English newspaper that every week had a scribble contest. There'd be a scribble drawing, and you had to draw something with the scribble in it...and send it in...it's great fun to try...and see what the winners did with it, too. I think it's a great idea for a visiting artist to bring to a classroom presentation. Gives the kids and the artist a chance together to create something from the same idea.

Camille said...

Check out Jack Ganto's talk. He had to rush some of his stories but he is terrific.