Friday, June 23, 2006

Devas T.'s Online Store!



This morning, I found a few minutes to open my online store. For now, I'm offering images from My Peepz, a property that I've been developing for the past couple years. My Peepz are a hip-hop-ish group of characters, with an appeal to African Americans teens (tweeners) in particular. I used an image from the upcoming 2007 12-month calendar, which is in production as I type this post. It will go on sale later this year with Shades Of Color.

I have a gad of images that I can use to create merchandise. This will be a piece-by-piece project, one that will grow as I find pockets of time to add products. This, by no means, will replace my licensing products. In fact, some items may need to be removed from shelves as I acquire licencees for particular designs. My product licensing agent and I are still seeking product manufacturers who are committed to partnering their high-quality products with my designs. But in the meantime, ain't no sense in these images sitting on my computer when I can earn a buck or two here and there.

Currently, I'm using CafePress's free service (free is relative) which doesn't offer many options in store design presentation. But, if I find any value in this, I'll upgrade to the paid account, then do some window dressing. I was a little weary about the whole thing at first, worried about uploading my hi-res art for someone to...well, steal. But I called a few other artist who use the service, and everyone gave the service high marks, in terms of security, as well as quality of products.

6 comments:

Shawn "Your oldest" said...

Hey dad!!! I am so proud of you.

Don Tate II said...

((((((((Shawn)))))))))

Yall, I have the sweetest daughter.

rindamybyers said...

You know, Don, I've heard good things too about these folks, and I know other writer and illustrators are using them! Guess I better go and check you out! I never seem to have enough coffee mugs around here for one thing.....

rindambyers said...

Yeah, I think a coffee mug would be good for marketing to writer/illustrator types and all, and we can always use an extra one to put things in like pens and stuff...so my kitty doesn't swipe 'em

Miss P AKA Her Royal Cliqueness said...

Sweet!

-P

Gregory K. said...

For what it's worth, everyone I know has liked their Cafe Press experience, and all of them think upgrading to the paid store is well worth it because it gives you the option of selling soooo much more stuff (and variants of stuff and multiple stuff in the same categories, etc).

Here's hoping the store pays for your SCBWI Annual trip!