Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Midweek sidebar

Ok, my plans to join a critique group didn't quite work out as planned. Unfortunately, for reasons I won't go into publically, I had to back out. I still have the utmost respect for these talented authors and artists, and I'll continue to support them however I can — but I need a plan B. Not to worry, the local children's author/illustrator community here in Austin is rich in talent, so there are plenty of people to lean on.

**********
I finished the first round of revisions on 'Bill'. After putting in more research time, I rewrote the ending, filled in some gaps, moved around a few blocks of text, and smoothed out some transitions. At this point, I'm going to go revise once again, experimenting with a southern voice, which will be a bit tricky, and require more research since, technically, I'm considered a yankee.

**********
I'm well into drawing thumbnail sketches for Ron. After reading a manuscript, I like to create tiny sketches. I email these sketches to the publisher before I start my real sketches. My editors have given me so much freedom to experiment! The first thing I asked, of course, is: "What's the size of the book." Their answer: "you determine that." My ideas will be put on the table before anything is decided definitely. That's cool!

On a sad note, I recently learned that one of the co-authors of Ron passed away.

**********
I had planned a trip to Lake City, South Carolina for research. But an aunt who lives near the area made the trip for me. She got the perfect shot, just what I needed, and saved me a mini vacation.

Justin and the Best Biscuits in World delivered the bacon, and I didn't even know it. I was starting to become angry with him, but he delivered it along time ago. I didn't know that publishers now do direct deposit. I should have known, I mean, how else did they get my personal banking info? The wife discovered this before I did. After she caught her breath, she got mad at me, thinking I was holding out on her. Just days before, I had told her about a news story I had heard where some spouses commit financial adultery — hiding money, or committing large financial debt in secret. I did none of the above. She felt better when she came home the next day to a new computer sitting in her studio.

1 comment:

rindambyers said...

You're doing GOOD on "Bill!" Writing just like I write! Fiddling and resting, fiddling and resting. Letting it rest a bit when you get fatigued or tired on it is a good idea. Go to another story and sketch that is what I do if I feel stuck. I do that with sewing, too, when I get mad at my sewing machine....leave the #%$@@@% project! For a short while! You are one super-talented guy, that's for sure.

I'm sorry I cannot be in your critique group living so far away. I'll just have to shout encouragements across the miles...digitally!