Friday, April 21, 2006

Friday wind-down

Monday, I shared lunch, and good conversation with a singing zoologist. At least, that's how he was referred to by one of his fans who exited the men's room and excitedly recognized him (nobody recognized me). Lucas Miller, a local children's entertainer/author/singer/columnist extraorannaire shared with me his experience, and business insights. I was truly impressed. I haven't met very many children's writers who practice their trade full time, and make a good living at it. Lucas does, and he is self published. To me, that screams spunk!

As a result of his participation with TLA, and TCA, Lucas has school visits coming out his ears, which is primarily where he sells his books. We discussed the possibility of collaborating on a project, and I'm looking forward to the day we can work together. Besides that, his wife has kicked off a business for people like me, people in business, but need a bit of coaching.

Oh, and by the way, K loved his CDs.

***************************************

A company specializing in African American themed wallpaper is interested in licensing three more of my designs for their juvenile line. I plan to build up the designs discontinued by Lowes because I'm still receiving emails from buyers wanting to know what happened to the Kidz collection.

***************************************

I finished thumbnail sketches for 'Ron' and faxed them off to my editors at Dial yesterday. I haven't used a fax machine in years, and in fact, had to dig mine out the garage, and hook it up just to send the sketches. With the ease of sending PDFs, who needs a fax machine? In this case, I would have had to scan 19 pages, so faxing made better sense.

***************************************
I just figured out that by joining a critique group, I'm gonna need to write more, and probably blog less. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. But, after submitting my first manuscript, and also receiving my first manuscript for review, I realized that we're gonna be doing this again in another 30 days, or so. I'll either need to write something new, or revise one of the three other first draft manuscripts I've already written.

2 comments:

Phil said...

Re your comment/question on the the other site: Found it!

Don Tate II said...

@Phil: LoL! too funny. At first, I didn't know what was going on, I had forgot. Anyway, shhh!

And, thanks for the time you've put in to...figuring this whole puzzle out.