Monday, April 10, 2006

Email makes it convenient, but I must resist!

Somehow, I have to resist the temptation to shoot off revisions to my editor without getting feedback from my professional writer friends. L, the executive editor at Lee & Low, invited me to send revisions anytime through email. I just rewrote the ending of 'Bill', and I'm so happy with the direction it's taken, my first inclination is to send it off without even having addressed the many other issues — much less copyediting.

Argh!– I've gotta exercise a bit of control here, for I blow this.

Besides that, I'd like to rewrite the whole thing, experimenting a bit with plays on words, and metaphors, though I will have to be careful. The simplicity of verbiage is one of the things they really liked about the manuscript.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I know how you feel. I just finished up rewrites based on a critique I had this weekend. I want to ship it off now, but I know I need to let someone else critique it first!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Don, Thanks for your comments about myspace. It's a tough call. I'm not giving tons of energy to it. Actually right now I'm at a point of wanting to dig a very big hole and piling the dirt back on top of myself. Running away from everything sounds pretty good too. Sigh.

I'm really enjoying watching your journey as a writer while you continue to work on your art.

Susan Taylor Brown
www.susanwrites.livejournal.com

rindambyers said...

Just let it set for a couple of days and you'll see what you want to do. Send it off to her if you feel ready then. She is interested in BUYING IT! So her critiquing is all that matters now! TRUST YOURSELF for the rewriting! You CAN do this. It's real important that now you have an editor on this, that you go to the editor pretty much exclusively, I think, now for comments and don't get confused by other people's comments. They aren't going to potentially give you money for the text! She is!