Friday, March 24, 2006

T.G.I. Friday!

I’m still reeling from a not so pleasant book review. I mean, it wasn’t bad, but it just wasn’t nice. I’ve decided not to react to it until I’ve had a chance to sleep on it a few nights ‘cause right now I’d just end up calling the reviewer some nasty names.

*************************
Looks like I may have to miss the Dallas Children’s Book and Literary Festival in May. I don’t want to, this is one of my favorite festivals. This festival involves doing school visits — usually at public schools in poorer black areas of town. I like presenting a positive, alternative image to kids who may think the way out of the ‘hood is through basketball or rap music. Thing is, I just realized that my son’s school holds their end of year field event on the same day. It’s a real big deal, the school administrators have been talking about it all year long. My son would be terribly disappointed if I weren’t there. I still remember sitting in the audience at his Christmas program, watching him as he marched into the sanctuary, dressed like a shepherd, eyes scanning the room till he found me. I wouldn’t miss that for anything.

*************************

Ok, I’m giving the idea of self publishing my cartoon series a second thought. I’m just not in the mood for the uphill battle of getting rejected by agents, and editors and publishers when I can publish it myself, like many other cartoonist do. Cartoon publishing works a bit differently than tradebook publishing, I’m gathering, so self publishing my well be the way to go. I think I’ve created a ‘toon that would fill a niche. I’m gonna think on that a little further.

2 comments:

Miss P AKA Her Royal Cliqueness said...

Sleeping on the review before acting - wise! I must say I admire your ability to do so.

I'm such an emotional re-actor. Even if I know that a little bit of distance will help give me perspective, I can't help it. Though blogging and emails to friends helps me to not go off publicly.

rindambyers said...

I'm sorry to hear about the review, too. I guess I better behave like a lady on your public blog, though and not &#@**!!&!
Yes, I like, LIKE the idea of self publishing your cartoon series. Go for it!