Sunday, February 12, 2006

Aimless Sunday thoughts

Maintaining a blog is a lot of work. They need to be updated fairly frequently to retain relevancy. My interest level in this blog is beginning to wan because it lacks the fun factor in which I originally started blogging. My other two blogs serve as a quencher for my need to express myself creatively, and to have fun doing it. Hope my boredom isn’t showing. I don't like to quit things that I start, but I also don't like doing things halfway either.

****************
I need to spend some time this evening preparing for my first school visit of the year. Tomorrow night, after work, I'm heading down to San Antonio. I'm going to spend the night, then present at Judson Montessori School first thing Tuesday morning. I have really grown to love doing these school visits. Presenting to the kids reminds me of why I do kid's books in the first place. Yes, it's about deadlines, and art directors. It's about editors and conferences and authors and awards list. But most importantly, it's about kids and doing what I can to uplift their interest in reading. And getting paid to do it.

****************

I need to get back to revising Bill. I've been so busy painting Justin that I've completely ignored a manuscript that is so close to being acquired. Truth be told, I'm horrified to even touch it. I mean, I put many hours into writing and revising what I believe is truly a good story. The manuscript has been recognized as such by the editors at Lee & Low Books, so I’m afraid I might mess things up. I do have a list of suggestions from the editor, and I probably should approach this while our conversation is fresh in my mind, but, Jeez, what if they don't like my revisions, or what if they just plain change their minds? (Congratz also to Zetta Elliot, too)

****************
I've been on a straight path my entire career. But, seems like, once I turned 40, my straight path forked off into several directions to resemble a tree. I have all these idea about things I want to do, and not much time to do them. A few years ago, I took an infographics course at Poynter where I met Paige Braddock. At the time, she was working for the Atlanta Journal Constitution. What I didn't know was that she was developing ideas for a cartoon series. Since then, she has gone on to publish her ideas as series of graphic novels. And to think, she started doing exactly what I'm doing now, publishing her cartoons on the internet. Of course, I'm going to spend the next week trying to contact her.

****************

A few weeks ago, I blogged about anatomy drawing. I've discovered is that anatomy drawing is extremely relaxing. I know this may sound crazy, but it's almost like yoga. When I practice yoga, my goal it to block out every extraneous thought, and think only about my breathing, and the pose at hand. It's like meditation. Anatomy drawing works the same way. I suppose that you'd get the same effect from drawing anything from life, not just the human body. But, I’d also assume that drawing the body is more relaxing than drawing, say, a coffee mug. I've noticed that whenever my hands start to hurt, if I sit down for an anatomy drawing session, my hands stop hurting. For awhile.

3 comments:

paula said...

Thanks for the link to the "Jane's World" cartoon. Neat to see another person's dream come to fruition per time and hard work. Always encouraging.

Sorry you're feeling a bit bored with this blog (it's the only one of your's that I know). Hard to keep up multiple blogs, and it's just natural for one's interest in projects to ebb and flow, particularly if you've got a lot of irons in the fire. I always enjoy your postings here, whether it's writing poetry about ruined paintbrushes or sharing your feelings of apathy. : )

Varian Johnson said...

I'm amazed that you're able to find time to sleep, with all of the things you have going on in your life. Your drive and dedication is a true inspiration to people like me that are struggling with just half of the things that you're dealing with. Keep fighting the good fight.

rindambyers said...

Love your blogging Don! Any shape or form. I REALLY love your cartoons though and hope those take off for you in a big way, soon!