Friday, January 20, 2006

Promotion

How come whenever networking opportunities present themselves, I'm always empty handed, without self promotional materials? Do you know how many times I end up in a conversation with someone influential, and have nary a business card on me? Ok, not this time. Last night, I threw together a quick flyer to take along to this weekend's ALA conference. Included on the flyer are images of my most recent books, Sure As Sunrise: Stories of Bruh Rabbit and his Walkin' Talkin' Friends (Houghton Mifflin, 2004), and The Hidden Feast (August House, 2006). I'm looking forward to seeing some advanced copies of the Hidden Feast at the August house booth.



I really should change the photo of myself. It’s a year old now, and I don’t look like that any more. Stress ain’t been very nice to a brotha over the last year. I’m always shocked when I finally meet an author or illustrator and they don’t look anything like their photo because their promotional photo is old, while they are older, bigger, grayer and wrinklier (I made that word up). Did I tell you about the time I met…

3 comments:

Jez Chill said...

I was just about to say the same thing, folks don't ever look like their photos. At least yours is only 1 year old, so it's ok. I don't they'll confuse you with someone else if they saw you in person for the 1st time.

rindambyers said...

DON!! The photo is great! Don't change it. The whole layout is just very appealing, very readable.

If you make a business card, why not make a bookmark size, and if you make it bookmark size, why not make it postcard size? People like all three, and all you have to really do is fiddle with the sizing a bit. You could try printing postcards off on non-glare, matt print photo paper. I just got some and can't wait to make postcards for my friends and family out of it out of my wacky photos I take; it's stiff but not too stiff.

Susan Taylor Brown said...

More kudos for you to get your networking act together before you went off to ALA. Don, this is SO your year.