Monday, November 28, 2005

Timeline of a signed contract:

Consideration of an artist before an offer is made:
Approximate time: 6 months to a year

Consideration of the manuscript before I accept the offer:
Approximate time: 3 minutes

First draft of contract sent to agent:
Approximate time: 30 days

Agent request changes (more money, book samples, higher royalty):
Approximate time: two weeks

Publisher rejects and makes new offer:
Approximate time: 30 days

Agent rejects…I pull her hair…she accepts:
Approximate time: one week

Publisher sends new contract:
Approximate time: 30 days

Agent doesn’t like the indemnity clause…returns contract:
Approximate time: two weeks

Publisher signs contract!:
Approximate time: 30 days

Agent signs contract…mails to me:
Approximate time: 5 days

I sign and return contract to publisher:
Approximate time: 45 days (I tend to procrastinate with ominous paperwork even when it means making money)

Publisher mails first half of advance and signed copies of contract:
Approximate time: 30 to 60 days

What’s this mean? Means I usually start my books with no money to buy new supplies which is partly why I end up working in acrylic on paper, although, after my last advance, I got smart and bought myself a new set of oils.

3 comments:

The Archivist said...

That's a very interesting timeline.

Jez Chill said...

The sweet smell of success..... PRICELESS!

Anonymous said...

Hey Don, I'm way behind trying to get caught up but congrats on signing AND getting money. My timeline isn't going as smoothly for the most recent one.

Susan Taylor Brown
www.livejournal.com/users/susanwrites