Thursday, November 03, 2005

Experimenting with electric paint



I spent some time today experimenting with a computer program called Corel Painter IX. I’ve actually dabbled with Painter off and on before, but have never completely caught on. Some artist are doing beautiful things with the program (See Barry in my links menu to the right). Painter is a bitmap program similar to Adobe Photoshop — only on steroids.
Painter has all those cool natural media effects almost impossible to attain in Photoshop, but Painter is much more difficult to use. Mostly, I use Painter to create interesting painterly effects which I then import into Photoshop.

I created the above image in Painter using a Wacom tablet as opposed to a mouse. The pressure sensitive tablet allows for variations in paint strokes that is impossible to attain with a mouse.

Actually, I like this updated version of Painter. It now looks and acts more Photoshop-ish. However, I won’t throw away my paints and brushes just yet. I like cleaning my brushes with the aroma of turpentine. I like stretching canvas until my fingers ache from the staple gun. I like squeezing the paint out of the tube, and mixing colors by hand. Painter, although cool, still uses a bit too much left brain-style analytical, rational, logical sequential thinking to suit my taste. I will continue to develop my Corel Painter skills only because there’s no room for canvas, turpentine, and easels smack dab in the center of a busy newsroom.

5 comments:

Varian Johnson said...

Superman Correction Boy looks pretty good. Where's Lois Lane?

The Archivist said...

Wow. Looks like you have got some good results going on there.

Kim said...

You amaze me every day. That is SO cool!

Rose said...

That looks great...almost real like...

rindambyers said...

Yes, I like it!

I like to use the computer for boring parts, like enlarging things! And to fool around with photos!

I like to draw lines myself though and mess about with real colors...in my "art"room...came out hte other day with gold sprinkles on my face...