Saturday, November 12, 2005

Busy, but not feeling too busy

This business is all about stepping on the creative gas pedal, speeding full throttle head in order to get sketches to an art director, thumbnails to an editor, and answers to questions so an art buyer can get your contract sent out. After all that is finished you wait. And wait. And wait some more. And deadlines aren't pushed ahead although you are waiting. So what am I doing while I am waiting? Nothing much. Blogging, and spending way too much time reading about other's peoples business on their non-publishing related blogs. Although, I did finish reading When Kambia Elaine Flew From Neptune. Observations to come.

I received a rather thick licensing agreement from S. Upon signing, this will cement the deal with the textile company who’d like to reproduce my designs onto fabric. I already have several series, or collections of designs for them to choose from (click here to see one example), however, I spent some time last week creating a few more motifs. I experimented with vintage rocket ships (think: boys room), pastel teddy bears (think: baby's nursery), flowers and ladybugs (think:pre-tween girl). I may also do some arrangements of dinosaurs, robots, and maybe, I don't know, more girl stuff. I did come up with two names for my collections. Some items will be sold under my name, Don Tate, of course. Other items will be sold tentatively under, Devas T! Why two names? Because apparently, it's not nice to sell the same design through a specialty shop at one price, when Walmart is selling the same product at two-bucks cheaper.


After reading Susan Taylor Brown's story behind the story interview on Cynsations, I decided to pick up a first draft PB manuscript that I had written and intended to submit to Lee & Low's New Voices contest. I did submit one manuscript, but never got around to revising this other. I wasn't sure about the direction to take it, so I sat it aside and almost forgot about it. The story is inspired by weekend camping trips I used to take with my grandparents. I get stuck because I end up trying to stay true to my experiences, which are priceless to me, but may not be so interesting to other readers. After reading Susan's story, I considered replacing the people characters, myself and my grandparents with animals and Whala!— the story is spilling over! I think by separating myself from the story, I'm now able to use more creative license in telling it. However, I will have to set it aside again as to finish painting (electronically painting) Fuzz, due in two weeks.

4 comments:

Rose said...

See that you are still busy which is good news...just drop by to see what you are up to and I see that it is alot. Good for you....

The Archivist said...

It seems you are keeping busy and solving problems with creative ideas.

rindambyers said...

So many animal stories seem to end up being the enduring ones, Don! I used to hate zoos, all the animals cooped up like that, but I had to adapt my opinion a bit after seeing how much preschoolers loved the animals. The attraction seems to be something innate...mysterious, wonderful...inexplicable!

That being said, I still like real, live people characters in picturebooks, too...check out some of James Stevenson's work on that....

You are a FAST WORKER! Keep on writing, keep on writing!!

David Cho said...

So I got here through Giget's link and thought that your layout had been changed. And then I realized that the URL is different.

How many blogs do you have going?