Thursday, October 06, 2005

Nobody knows the trouble I seed

Bummer. Today, I'm feeling like my 16-year old Ford Ranger — kinda raggedy. I think all creative types maneuver through bouts with emotional highs and lows. Today, I'm stuck a lower gear. This Saturday, every children's book author and illustrator in Austin will be attending the "Follow Me: Fall Conference." Once again, I won't be in attendance. I've had three expensive family vacations this summer, plus one too many unexpected large financial obligations. So, I couldn't swing another hundred-and-five bucks for a conference. And the way things usually go, that book advance I've been waiting for will probably come the Monday after. So instead, I'll be working Saturday from 3 to 11. I'll probably be creating locator maps for some Godforsaken downtown construction detour project. No, I'm serious, I didn't make that up. Sigh.

On a brighter note. My agent mentioned pitching the My Peepz characters to Nickelodeon as a cartoon series, or something. I have no idea what would be involved in such an undertaking, or what I would do if they actually said yes. But it's gotta be better than locator maps, and new home sales charts. Please.

6 comments:

The Archivist said...

Bugger. Sorry to hear that, man.

As for the cartoon series, that'd be cool!

Rose said...

As my cool young secretary would say, "that would be fire?" That is getting the cartoon...

Anonymous said...

We'll miss you. :-(

Anonymous said...

Don, I wandered over from Roz's blog. Just wanted to say I love your art!
Laura
www.LauraLudwigHamor.com

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad Don. I can't go either for pretty much the same reasons as yours. Your blog is inspiring by the way.
Janet

Ray Dillon said...

Sorry about the funk you're in, man. I just went through one myself. They always seem to end in a huge burst of creativity.

Nickelodeon? Your characters? Cartoon?

That's fantastic, man! Good luck. Like I said, I think it'd make a great cartoon. You've already got the bulk of the bible done, so I'm guessin' if they're interested, it'll be pretty smooth sailing.

Hoping anyway. Hooves crossed! ;o)