Thursday, October 20, 2005

No, I'm not bipolar, I'm just an artist

This blog is all about the highs and lows I experience as a children's book illustrator. I've archived my low days. Remember the fish? Well, today, I'm on a high.

I'm sitting here in my studio, adding the final touches to the manuscript I plan to enter into Lee & Lows New Voices contest. As a favor to me, children's author, Chris Barton was generous enough to take one last look. Anyway, out of no where, I hear a voice. "...I am the acquiring editor at Dutton Children’s Books...," someone was saying. Now, I'm home alone and that singing fish is downstairs. Since I know he ain't no acquiring editor, I jump out my seat and start scrambling to find my phone. Oh, I hate cordless phones! I never put them back on the receiver, so the battery always runs down. The only way I know I've received a call is when the answering machine suddenly starts talking.

I grabbed the phone in my wife's studio, practically tripping over the pile of thrown-out rewrites, and yes indeed, it was an editor. But not just any editor, this was the editor who acquires manuscripts as well as artist for Dutton Children's Books. Now, it's one thing to talk to an editor at a children's publishing house, and it's another thing altogether to talk to an editor who has excitement in their voice. The excitement in his voice was in regards to my art, and the possibility that we might work together. We were two excited souls! That's a good sign.

That's all I'll say about my morning so far. I will say, however, I'm off to the post office to mail the books, and art samples that he requested.

6 comments:

The Archivist said...

I hope it goes well, Devas!

Kim said...

AWESOME! Tell us all about it when you can. You are simply amazing. By the way...I found your secret hangout :-) You quite the cartoonist talent too! Very funny!

Susan Taylor Brown said...

Wowsers! Don you are on a roll lately and I'm so glad to hear that you are still going to enter the book in the contest.

Gimme some of that energy, will ya?

Susan Taylor Brown said...

PS - your secret's safe with me since I haven't a clue but next week, with more time to play, I might have to go on a treasure hunt.

Campfyah said...

Seems like you are trully a blessed person. Please pass some of those blessings on... Good Luck and we'll be looking for you in the big leagues

rindambyers said...

HuEEY!!! I mean Hurray! for you, Don! HOW exciting!