Thursday, September 08, 2005

A recent cover






























Times have changed, and they keep on changing. When I graduated high school in 19——, none of our business, the big question for me was, of course, "what are your plans for the future." The answer, without hesitation, was commercial art. I had just graduated Tech High, a vocational-technical high school. I spent half of everyday taking classes in my core area of commercial and advertising art. While art students at other high schools were making art and craft type projects with popsicle sticks, we were designing text fonts, laying out magazine covers with type and photos and air brushing outdoor walkway displays. My art plans raised a few skeptical eyebrows. "You can't make a living in art," my dad warned. So, to raise his eyebrows even more, I added computer graphics to my plans. Only because it sounded kinda exotic.

This was back in the day before anyone could have guessed the direction computers were going to take the field of commercial art. Little did I know that 10 years after I graduated high school, computer graphics would not be so exotic, but the norm.

This is an illustration I created for the Austin American Statesman's NFL preview cover. The story is about how Texas football teams appear to be in a dry spell in regards to making the playoffs. I created this in the outdated Raydream 5. Raydream is a computer program that allows the user to literally build the illustration piece by piece in a virtual art studio. Now, would somebody tell my bosses that the world has moved on and Raydream does not even exist any more. Upgrade!

4 comments:

Free iPods said...

Nice Blog. Check this out, you can get a free iPod

The Archivist said...

Raydream seems like it might have been my kinda thing. Pretty good cover, too!

I like it.

rindambyers said...

Oh, Don! I don't know ANYTHING about what's what in computer drawing programs (I'm stuck in kindergarten with old versions of Zonerdraw and Painter and PaintShopPro) but I do know I love, love, LOVE the way colors look on my new LCD screen...it was awfully nice for me that my old screen started whiting and blacking out and buzzing out on me.....time for a monitor for me!

Rinda M. Byers

Ray Dillon said...

Wow. We have very similar stories, man. I went to tech school for commercial art during my Senior year, and a couple of years after. I had a lot of naysayers (especially since my primary field was going to be comic books-- "HA! You can't make a living with that garbage!" my high school art teacher constantly reminded me.), and now that's what I do. And I do it all on computer! Granted, it's not 3D work, but using Photoshop 7 and a wacom tablet, but still, technology and art. ;o)

I like your work a lot. Your blog, too. Got ya bookmarked.

Keep up the great work!