Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Publisher's catalog




















Just received— hot off the press — my ZonderKidz 2005 - ’06 catalog (with June ’05 announcements). ZonderKidz is an imprint of Zondervan Publishing, who published my work in the book, The Legend of the Valentine. Zondervan is a publisher of Christian books. Cool, needless to say. Zondervan's catalogs are above the level of grandiose, not trashing the others, but theirs are completely full-color, spot varnished, gloss stock throughout, while most other book publishers go black and white. I'm excited to say, Valentine is highlighted three times throughout the catalog.

I was also happy to see another African American title featured in the catalog: Christmas Soup, written by Phyllis Dooley an Alice Faye Duncan and illustrated by Coretta Scott King award winner Jan Spivey Gilchrist. I'm happy to see this because, although Zondervan is my publisher, and I kinda like 'em, they don't seem to publish much color, color being, in this case, PC for black people. Glad someone out there is realizing that, yes, black folk like Christian books for their kids, too.

Now, I got an idea. Everyone reading this post, put everything down right now. Don't spill your coffee. Turn your computer off, and rush over to Family Christian Book Stores and buy my book now. Hurry, run! Yes, it's a Valentine's Day book. Yes, it's August. But royalty checks are royalty checks, even in the fall.

12 comments:

Kim said...

That sounds like a great book! I'll have to look for it!

The Gig said...

I already have the book.

The Archivist said...

I don't think I can get the book. Will it be available in Australia anytime soon?

Don Tate II said...

@ gig: you sound a bit terse. Did you not like it?

@ Kira's slave: I hope so. I have world wide rights.

Nikki said...

I'll have to check to see if the book is at my local Christian book store.

Jdid said...

yea i have to go see where i can find that

captain_howdy_girl said...

I'm happy for you. :)

Rinda M. Byers said...

Congratulations, Don! I LIKED the lady especially in your front cover. She made me feel as if she had a sense of humor as well as tenderness--actually rather a rare combination to find in illustrations of more sentimental family stories, at least in my opinion. I like to humor AND tenderness together in illustrations for children! Makes the characters seem more real to me...

Varian Johnson said...

Sounds like a good book. I'll have to get a few copies for some of the kiddos back at home. Do you think a child would be upset with getting a book for a gift?

Luke Cage said...

I supported my heroine miss Dominique and now it's my man's turn. Consider myself a hero for your work from here on out my friend! I'll be looking out for this....

Friar Tuck said...

Congrats

Lionel said...

Hey, is this book available in any Christian Bookstore?