Friday, August 05, 2005

Just because



























While reading the book Rats Saw God, I stumbled across a new art term: Dada. Dadaism was an art movement, or should I say an anti-art movement which started during World War I. I'm not much of a fine artist, I tend to fall on the commercial art side of the line drawn in the sand, however, if I were a fine artist, I'd be a dadaist. Why? Just because. That's the whole idea behind dadaism, art with no logical explanation. Dada is art for the sake of art and don't ask me no questions why. For everything art stands for, Dada represents the opposite. The non-conformist living inside my brain kinda likes that philosophy.

Thing is, the sports editors at my newspaper gig didn't know I'd recently unearthed a new art form. They requested an illustration from me right smack-dab in the middle of my new finding. The above illustration is the result of my applying those new found principles. The sports editors were speechless. Literally. I'm an art guy. They're sports guys.
WTF
they expect?<---(see, I got my cool on). This illustration ran on the Austin American Statesman's sports cover with a story having to do with all the new college sports TV channels.


Ask me what this is, go 'head. My new dadist answer: It just is.


Unrelated thought for the day: I'm not a historian or a scholar. My community college degree knows nothing about world history beyond yesterday. But I'm gonna ask two politically incorrect questions anyway. Why is Africa in trouble? Again? And again. And again. And again.

And why do folks think that throwing more money at them is gonna help?

Another thought: I'm not bloggin for awhile is apparently relative.

12 comments:

The Archivist said...

Dadaism... sounds damn cool!

captain_howdy_girl said...

art should always be for the sake of art

Friar Tuck said...

Ha! Good to read the interaction between work 1 and work 2.

Christopher M. Beatrice said...

dude that sounds like it could be the name for your grand kids to call you haha. What up dada. rofl

Kim said...

I hope the sports guys were a good speechless. I think it was an awesome piece! I'll bet the cable ad sales people are wishing that someone had created something like that to sell their sports packages (at least that's how I view it from my advertising background :-)

The Gig said...

LOL at Christopher's comment - I agree with you Chris. Good post, but again I ask you not to say negative things about yourself.

Quel said...

Great artwork! Thanks for introducing dadaism to me. It's really interesting stuff. Thanks too, for your unrelated questions about Africa. Great questions. Very thought-provoking.

Rinda M.Byers said...

Just so interested folks can check it out, there was a threepart special on PBS about three weeks ago on a book called "Guns, Germs, and Steel," which had some fascinating "stuff" about the why of Africa's continual plight and the plights of so many other non-European countries. Not sure everyone would agree with the author but certainly gives one something to thing about!!

Oh... now I think I mgiht be part dadist...I seem to be the collect, cut-and-paste scribble, sew it up and cut it apart type of artistic soul....I say that because I can't really call myself an artist probably just stumbling around with quilts on my own...oh,well..it's FUN!

Jdid said...

i'm digging the dadaism. hey now get back to work and finish those illustrations

Nikki said...

Dadaism. That could catch on.

Positively Cheryl said...

Hi Don,

Africa is in trouble and has always been in trouble. It has never been OUT of trouble! You're right, politicians and do gooders seem to just want to throw money at Africa, but what Africa needs is to stop having invaders come in to take their resources, including its people, diamonds, habitat, and natural resources, and then as they go away make it a point to stir up hate and distrust so that the people will turn on each other.

You could have an entire blog on this topic and I could post a novel length comment, but would rather say hello, and I hope you and your family had a great weekend!

Susan Taylor Brown said...

I came over here to try and figure out how a white girl like me is supposed to slap a dude like you upside the head, once, twice, three times ought to do it. I'll tie it to your post here, on Dadaism which I have heard of but never knew much about but you got my interest up to the point that I'm now going to have to read some about it. Read....how's that for a transition into your post on my LiveJournal? Sheesh, Don. Do not be your own worst enemy. Reading is what is most important. I'll tie that back to Rod McKuen, who would often end his concert/poetry reading with the phrase that, "It didn't matter who you loved or how you loved but THAT you loved." Reading is the same thing. You READ Don. Right on!

Maybe I should join force with The Gig to get you to quit knocking yourself. :-)