Monday, August 01, 2005

Artist Greggy

I don't remember the exchange exactly, but I recently sort of had a conversation with my friend Frank over at Splinter Cell. He had posted a blog, or comment, or something concerning online friendships. I made a remark stating that blogging can create a false sense of friendship. I went on to say that if I were to fall off the edge of the earth, none of my blog acquaintances would give a rip. However, I think, I was wrong. Something unthinkable happened to one of my favorite blog buddies, Artist Greggy.


Apparently, Artist Greggy, Gregory Broadnax, was in a tragic car accident. His car flipped and his wife was killed. His daughter Serena was severely injured.

I have never met Gregg in person, and wouldn't even recognize him should I pass him on the street. But I've read his blog fairly regularly over the past six months. I've also enjoyed the comments he left on my blog. Although I've never met Artist Greggy in person, I feel like I know him. And I can't quite put into words the sorrow I'm feeling having read about this brotha's unfortunate accident.

Not too long after I started blogging, I discovered Gregg's blog. I am an artist, therefore I tend to be attracted to blogs of other visual creatives. Gregg's is one of the best designed, and his warm personality beams through not only his writing, but his vibrant artwork. Those of you who have read his blog can attest to my words. So when he announced just a couple months ago that he was taking a blog break, I was really quite disappointed. And in fact, I just posted a message yesterday on his blog to let him know I was thinking of him.

So, Frank, I was wrong. Although we bloggers are worlds apart, separated by a vast expanse of a world wide web, there's real God-given life behind the blogs that we read on a daily basis. And I have become virtual friends with many of those I've met here.

Gregg, my prayer's are with you and I offer my sincerest condolences to you concerning your wife. I hope you will recover quickly, and can return to caring for your daughter, creating your beautiful art , and writing your inspiring words very soon.

Any written correspondence can be forwarded at least in the near future to Gregg's fathers house at :
Greg Broadnax
5527 Old Court Road
Baltimore Md 21244
Email can be sent to his email address:
gregorybroadnax@msn.com">gregorybroadnax@msn.com

Thanks Cheryl for passing on this news.

18 comments:

Phil Plasma said...

I have often wondered about precisely this - how much it would hurt if one of my regular blogging partners just stopped posting with no hint as to their impending absence. Moofruot is one of these exactly who hasn't posted since July 11. What happened to her? Prior to her absence she posted quite regularly...

I won't claim that her absence is anything at all like, say, a parent of one of my friends dying, but it isn't a trivial event, either.

Court said...

I have tears in my eyes from reading this post. I visited Gregg's site and left my mark. I know how the Net can build friendships. At a trying time in my life, if a woman had not been there for me, I may have not have had the strength to get through a certain point in my life. It is amazing what your fingers can convey in messages. Today, I am as close to her than I would be if she was right around the corner, if not closer. Don't feel bad. I felt the same way that you felt prior to meeting my friend too.

Aziza said...

I am so sorry to read this news. I read Greggy's blog a little while before he took a break. I didn't know he and his family had been involved in a tragic accident. And although I don't know him personally, I care. He and his family are in my prayers.

Aziza said...

I'm still in shock about this, but I found some more information about the accident at the following link on the Baltimore Sun's website. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.crash19jul19,1,5636140.story?coll=bal-local-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true)

Jdid said...

my condolences to greggy too.

Its true that we dont actually know each other personally but I do think we build up a close personal rapport here in blogworld. I know I miss persons who stop blogging or worry over what has happened to them.

Miss A. said...

I've left a post for Greg, althought I've never read his blog. It's aweful how we take for granted each day we're given and the loved ones around us!

FYI... I took your suggestion...
Mr. Recordholder is no longer a "love" interest... however, I am befriending him.

Luke Cage said...

Beautiful stuff Don. Very nicely done my friend. Greg will be proud.

**RPM** said...

This is one to think on. On my way to visit his page.

Nikki said...

I'm still in a state of shock after reading it on Cheryl's blog earlier. My heart and prayers go out to him and his family.

The Gig said...

I too have tears in my eyes just thinking about Greggy. It is a terrible thing to loose someone you love so much. I can almost feel his pain and I don't know him either.

Yes, we do take for granted each day given, our loved ones, and especially Jesus. I believe we should never let the sun go down on our anger as you never know what even the next second has in store for us. Life is precious and so are the people who grace our lives be it in person or on the blog. I really care for my blogger buddies. They have managed to feel a large void in my life. My prayers are definitely with Greggy and his family.

NjDivaGirl said...

My heart felt prayers go out to Greg and his family. I agree with you. I've been online for a long time. Over the years I've formed many friendships, some spilling over into the real world. I have learned that there are some people who are more real online than in person. What I mean by this is, sometimes a person can be more candidate and open (be who they really are) online than they are in their every day life. Does this sound weird?

captain_howdy_girl said...

That is heartbreaking. When I learned that a new blog friend of mine lost her baby I very nearly cried even though I had only known her a few days and only online.

Diva said...

Although I'm not blogging much at all myself, I think of my blog friends everyday. Greggy is such a sweet, sweet man and I can't even begin to say how sorry I am for his sudden loss. I'm glad I decided to log on today and visit.

Campfyah said...

prayers goes to Gregg and his family. Hope he gets to see these comments and to know that they are the bloggers out there thinking of him and his wife. How sad!!!!

Oricon Ailin said...

My most heartfelt prayers and thoughts go out to Greggy and his family. This is such a tragedy. May God protect him and give him strength and courage.

*tears* God be with Greggy and all who have been affected during this terrible time. *sighs*

WIP said...

Like you, Don, I once had those same sentiments. But I've also come to realize that I do see you all as virtual friends. Case in point, at the onset of me seeing Artist Greggy's name in your post, I said to myself, "Oh, yeah I 'know' him and remember reading his blog from Don's link." Do I know him know him? At this point it doesn't matter because all I can think of is to pray for him and his family. Thanks for sharing.

Brea said...

Online relationships are hard to put a finger on - but I think any human connection is significant. I am sorry to hear Greggy - they will be in my prayers.

ManNMotion said...

Thanks for letting us know, I've checked out Greggy's blog in the past but somehow it fell off the radar screen. This is terrible news and I'm going to stop by.