Sunday, July 03, 2005

Writing opportunity

Just received a note from my Aunt, author Eleanora E. Tate, whose book, by the way, was just selected for inclusion on a recommended list of multicultural and multi-racial literature that use humor. The list was prepared by the EMIERT Children’s Services Committee, and you can find the entire list with links over at Cynsations.

Anyway, getting back to the note, here is a writing opportunity for African American writers of children's literature. The Journal of African American Children's literature is seeking manuscripts for publication in the Fall, 2005 issue. I know, that's kinda soon, but I just found out.

They are looking for manuscripts that examine and explore the works of African American illustrators and writers of children's books that have celebrated and continue to celebrate African American families via their work.

The problem is: I don't know what the above paragraph means! See, I'm just a newbie writer. I write what I want, when I want to and about whomever I please. So, put a bunch of rules, regulations, word counts, guidelines and deadlines on it and I get kinda freaked out. I find myself crawling back into my comfort zone cave: my studio with my drawing board, paint brushes and canvases. Thing is, after studying the website, it looks right up my alley. I want to write, but I'm terrified of writing professionally. We'll see where this goes. I think I could do it. I don't know.
*sigh*

7 comments:

Susan Taylor Brown said...

Go for it, Don. What have you got to lose? Write it out from the heart. You know what you want to say, just say it. Remember, no one is likely to come knocking on your door asking to publish your work. You have to write it AND send it out there. :-)

Write on right now.
Susan

The Archivist said...

Have a shot. You never know what you're capable of until you try.

Luke Cage said...

Brotha, you've got to just flow with those God-given abilities. If that were me saying that, you'd be on my case saying "Frank, just follow your skills and let them do the talking for ya." Or something a little more promising than that-lol Of course you an do it. Now follow through.

The Gig said...

Great support system. I agree with all of you. You are VERY talented and I look forward to see your published book. GO FOR IT!

ShellyP said...

Oh, come on, you just admitted that you can do it! You said it looked right up your alley. I say go for it too. Why not? You know we'll be here cheering you on.

Peacebound said...

>> See, I'm just a newbie writer.<<

Drop the "newbie," please. You're a writer, period. An insightful one at that.

Congratulations to your aunt!

Kim said...

I have no idea what that paragraph means either, but to all of us, it means WRITE! Write from your heart! Good luck! You're ready!