Sunday, July 31, 2005

Kind of a quiet Sunday

Sundays for me – particularly since I work a rotating schedule at my full-time gig — are a mixed bag of high pressure work or low key relaxation. Some Sundays I'm off, and can stay at home to enjoy the wondrous chaos of home. For me, low key relaxation means quality time with the wife, my high-spirited son, and my time-stealing computer. But some Sundays I have to work my full-time gig. And today is one of those Sundays. Bummer.

Today I woke up and realized that I only have two weeks to work off my Heineken-thick layer of fat that's hiding my six-pack. Bummer. That means two weeks of long distance running, extra deep-heavy squats and hours of yoga. Ole boy needs to get his body into swim suit condition for our four-day Galveston cruise. I wanna look like I did last year when we went to Antigua, but I’ve come to realize I’ve probably started one too many pecan pies late. First thing this morning, I suggested to wife that she wake up to keep an eye on the son while I go for a run. He's already awake and putting in his orders for full-time attention. "I want my breakfast. I want to watch cartoons. Where's my airplane?" The wife has another suggestion. "Let's ALL go running together!

Ok, I'm not gonna burn off much fat running along side the son on his training wheeled bike. When I go running, I go running. And although I don't do any real distance, I do like to get my heart rate up to a high beats per minute. Well, I didn’t work up much of a sweat, but the son, with his grown-up mouth, and his not-wanting-to-steer-his-bicycle-straight-so-he-fell-off-nine-times self, surely worked up my heart rate. But in the end, the wife said she had a nice time. And she said it with a smile and a little glimmer in her eyes. So foregoing my little self-indulgent pursuit was worth the time spent with those who kinda don’t mind my Heineken paunch. And I had a nice time, too.

Well, once again, I'm off to work, leaving the wife and son at home on a beautifully sunny Austin afternoon, where I'll sit at my computer, pretty much bored, unless something newsworthy (something terrible) happens in this world to give a brotha something to graphically report. Bummer.

11 comments:

The Archivist said...

Nothing wrong with a quiet Sunday... unless it follows an explosive Saturday, in which case you'll probably spend the quiet Sunday wishing that the explosive Saturday hadn't been quite so explosive... or better yet, Saturday never happened at all.

Christopher M. Beatrice said...

That is good that you all got to spend some quality time, and nothing wrong with a quiet day lol. except the working part

Chris Barton said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one trying to balance working, writing and running. And summer. Nothing like running in Austin in summer...

Nikki said...

Quiet Sundays are a breath of fresh air.

princessdominique said...

I've always wanted to run. Asthma as a kid. But you work it out for all of us who can't. Enjoy the cruise too.

Lauren said...

Sounds like your morning went well...and the stories you tell are always so vivid! I can picture every word you write. I love reading your blog because of this. :-D

These priceless moments spent with family is what I live for. Although I don't get to see my family much, I'm hoping to have my own family in a few years. Few as in like 4 or 5, not 2 or 3. LOL

Oricon Ailin said...

It is so nice to spend time with family. I'm glad you all had such a good time. And, just think of it this way, it's those precious moments spent together that will mean more to them. They love you just the way you are. *smiles*

Positively Cheryl said...

Have you heard about Artist Greggy Devas T? He's been in a horrible car accident and his wife was killed, he's critically injured and his daughter was also.

Please stop by and read the details or go directly to his site!

Jdid said...

jogging with the fam sounds like a nice way to spend time together. whne i was akid i always liked doing that sort of stuff with my dad. it leaves great memories

The Gig said...

I know how it is when you have to work on the weekends. A mother does not get a chance to talk a long time when calling him at work, bothering him when he is busy and not letting go but constently hanging on for dear life. ha, ha, ha -- I guess I am steady embarassing you on the blog so I will sign off and behave myself. *grin*

Handbag Express said...

Hello, just dropped in to checkout your blog and also introduce our Grand Opening for **www.HandbagExpress.com**. We offer the ultimate superb selection of handbags, purses, wallet, backpacks, with the highest quality and the absolute lowest prices and that's a promise.
We extend our invitation for you to stop on by and check our website out at : **www.HandbagExpress.Com** Thank you and have a great day!