Sunday, June 26, 2005

Monsters fly

I am a brotha known for recreating myself. I like change. From a high-top fade to back-lenth dreadlocks, sure as the seasons change, so does my hairstyle. The most noticible change came when I started working out during my mid 20s. At 123-pounds, I started working out at the gym, and within a just a couple of years I had put on an additional 30 pounds of muscle, and transformed myself into a competition-level bodybuilder(natural, bodybuilding for skinny people). I started receiving double-takes from people who had'nt seen me in years. I not only looked different, but I felt like a new person. Writing has changed me, too, in much the same way. I was sort of aloof, quiet and observing, not focusing too much attention on anything besides the art project at hand. Writing causes me to stop, pay attention, and to take notice of the world around me. I now find myself in a continued search for a story, even in the mundane. For Instance:

Like son, like father

I strapped the son into his carseat, testing the taughtenss to be sure he was securly strapped in. I pushed down the lock on the door, then slammed it shut. "KaBlam!" My raggedy truck can make such an awful noise when closing the door, and since the latch needs replacing, I have to slam it with practically every muscle in my body to get it securely closed. The experience of getting my son dressed and transported to day care is an adventure in itself, and this day would be no different. As I walked away from his door, I thought I heard a faint sound, a cry for help, but the sound was much too faint, so I didn't pay it much attention. I continued around the front of my truck and opened the door.
    "Ahhh! Daddy, Daddy-Daddy! Woooo-Wooo! Ahh!" the son is screaming, vigorously flapping his hands and slapping the air all around him.
    "A bee, a bee! Ahh! A bee! The terror in his face signaled a terror within me, but in these kind of situations, I don't think, I react. I jumped in the car and grabbed at his seat belt in an attempt to release him. I got whacked in the face a couple of times from his futile attempts at warding off this unwanted foe. Just as I get him loose, I heard it buzz toward my ear, around my head and it passes my eyes. The frantic pitter-patter of my beating heart stopped abrupt in the instant my eyes met our enemy. It was a fly. And a tiny fly at that.
    "Man!" as I call him. "It's only a fly, not a bee. A fly is not going to hurt you," I'm yelling, irritated at him for almost giving me a heart attack. I mean, If I'm going to have a heart attack, I'm pretty good at doing my own stupid stuff to cause one. The fly continues buzzing in circles around my head and out the open door. "Doggit, is he some kinda girl?" I'm thinking to myself.

Fast forward two weeks later...

It's shortly past 2 p.m. and I'm on my way to work. My ever-growing waistline catches wind of a char-grilled aroma as I pass the corner Burger King. Now, the last thing my ever-expanding waistline needs is a burger. But try telling my waistline that. The beauty in the aroma of a char-grilled burger had awaken him, like a sexy lady in a too-short pink mini skirt, and now he and my brain were momentarily at war. The brain must have lost the fight because suddenly all three of us, my brain, my waistline and my truck were making a U-turn headed for the drive-through window of that Burger King restaurant.
    "I'll have a Whopper with Cheese, a large fry and a diet coke," I made my order with no hesitation in my decision. I then pulled up to the cashier window. I'm practically salivating at the thought of the treat that awaited me. I made the transaction and the cashier hands over my food. That's when I heard it.
    "Bzzzzzzz-zzzzz" A low pitched buzz, probably from...A BEE! Probably a wasp! Maybe a hornet! I dropped my bag and it crashed to the floor, it's contents of french fries and ketchup packets bursting all over into an already mass of trash that should have been thrown out long ago. I started flapping my hands at the air, waving and smacking and hitting at this unseen foe. I could hear this rascal buzzing behind my head, the vibrations from its wings pounced on the back of my ears sending my hands aflutter in a panicked reflex. That's when I realized, I was trapped. My seatbelt latched closed, and my door buttressed against the frame of that drive-through window. I didn't want to make a fool out of myself by climbing over the arm rest, and jumping out the passenger side door, but I'll climb before I get stung in the head by an oversized creature wearing a yellow jacket. I jutted forward toward the door ready to make the fool of myself, probably the bigger fool than what I already appear to be. Then I heard it again, it buzzed toward my ear, around my head and it passed my eyes. The frantic pitter-patter of my beating heart stopped abrupt in the instant my eyes met my enemy. It was a fly. And a tiny fly at that. The fly continues buzzing in circles around my head and out my open window. I smiled at the cashier, picked my food up off the floor. Thanked him. Bit my tounge.

Before I stared blogging, I wouldn't have given either of these situations a second thought. And surly wouldn't have written about them.

************************************************
Quote for the day: As per my son: "I put a penny in my booty and I can't find it." I hope this means he lost a penny in his shorts, or this could be a problem.

16 comments:

The Archivist said...

I feel for you man.

The Gig said...

LOL, LOL, LOL, is this story legit? or is it another one of your practice writing stories? This is a coinsidence, but as I am typing this to you, I am being acosted by a horse fly, and when I first saw it I was startled due to thinking it to be something much larger as it flew from my PC right into my face.

Don Tate II said...

Mz. Gig: I haven't yet explored fiction, so pretty much everything I write is legit, or true, although I may embellish or tell the story through one of my creative lenses.

San Nakji said...

You write very well.

Luke Cage said...

I recreated myself back in the mid-80's while I was in the service. Working out made me feel so much better and I remember the double-takes myself. Made a brotha feel like a king man. Hey, that story was a trip Don. I was cracking up at your description of the "monster fly" when you said
but I'll climb before I get stung in the head by an oversized creature wearing a yellow jacket. -lol. Good stuff my friend. That quote of the day was a hilarious closer as well!

Jdid said...

lol, classic man, classic. very well written you kept me interested

Gunner Kaufman said...

Im straight gangsta!! never ran never will...unless my daughter picks up a bug and chases me with it....I HATE THAT!!! i hate bugs

The Gig said...

About the son -- where did the penny go?

WIP said...

When you were loced, you resembled Eric Jerome Dickey. But I'm sure someone must've noticed and told you so. I too don't write fiction; it's all about being "creative" in nonfiction.

Cute story. I guess they could have never gotten you to play a role in the "Attack of the Killer Bees"!

Nikki said...

Big Don afwaid of a wittle fly?

Jez Chill said...

I agree. Certain acts do create a big change in within. My locs reflected my change of attitude ~6 years ago. Getting fit & few muscles is a huge confidence booster. Except fot the kid stuff, I hear you loud & clear!

Oricon Ailin said...

*giggles* What a cute story! You should see me with bugs!

I am very allergic to bees, so I can totally understand your fear of them too! hehehe

I DO hope that the penny is ummm, in the shoe, not the "other" booty. hehehehe

Michele said...

LOL! I enjoyed it tremendously, as my 3 year old also thinks anything flying is a bee. Give us an update on the penney...don't leave us hanging! :)

Brea said...

Look!! A spider!!!!!

Christopher M. Beatrice said...

I feel your pain man, I am very allergic to bees and I start to swatting too lol. But nothing compares to me running from snakes and mice. Yall would be rolling if you seen me. Really it is a riot, even though at the time I don't think so.

Lauren said...

Hmmm, one more thing to learn about Chris....he's allergic to bees! That's too funny because I am too....thus, we just belong together! LOL :-P