Friday, June 10, 2005

Friday tidbits

African American scrap booking

I recently received an email request asking about the availability of scrap booking materials designed especially for African Americans. Now, I'm not a scrap booker. That fact is evident if you could see the knee-high pile of photos which the wife and I have stacked in the corner of our bedroom. One of these days we'll get around to putting all those photos into albums. Some, I assume, the wife will put together as a scrap book. I had never given much thought to creating art for scrap bookers, but I recently learned that scrap booking has become a 2-billion dollar a year industry. Needless to say, I got on the phone with my licensing agent. She mailed some samples to me and suggested that I create designs that use words such as: "Hi mom, it's me!" or "World's best Grandma!" I'm thinking that an African American design would incorporate images of African Amerian people, but my agent says no, buyers already have pictures of people, what they need are words or design components. But what's an African American design component? Kinte cloth?
My question to scrap booker-types is: what would you like to see in scrap booking design components for African Americans? And this question isn't limited to African Americans 'cause I know some of y'all are married to brotha's or vise versa and I value everyones opinion regardless.

*******************************************************
Tomorrow I will be speaking during a break out session for the Texas Writer's League's 12th Annual Agents/Editors conference. I will also join a panel discussion with writer Mark Mitchel and editor...well, I don't know which editor. But this will be very interesting since I'm neither an agent or an editor. I have much to learn from this. Anyway, I've decided that my presentation in Tampa was over-prepared. So as an experiment in trying to discover my presentation style, I'm going to wing it. I know my stuff, so there's no reason for me to practice some hokey forced introduction.

*******************************************************
Dog lovers, I'm going to put the final touches on my dog rant. I've hesitated about posting it, not wanting to offend anyone. But after my fat-people, lesbian and democrat rants, I guess I can't get any lower. A brotha still needs your love so if you own a demon dog, aka pitt bull, rottweiler or anything that walks on four feet, yaps, bites or pants, you may not want to skip visiting here on Monday.

************************************************
Unrelated thought for the day:If sombody would just remind those jurors how much money they're going to make once this trial is over, they'd stop deliberating and give us a verdict today.

*******************************************************
Word for the day: This word for the day thing is kind of...well, getting on my nerves.

11 comments:

Jdid said...

lol, I cant wait for the dog rant. say what ya gotta say bro

Positively Cheryl said...

I own two small breed dogs. Please deliver the rant Don. Hey thanks for the back tips. I just got back home from the doctors and she gave me exercises and heavy duty drugs. I hate drugs, so i'll start the exercises first.

As for the scrapbook, I think if we see something that relates to us like fellow black faces, or some of your illustrations for children would work. Like a picture on the front that says 'our' family and it shows a Black father, mother, and two siblings or somthing like that. I don't like the kente cloth idea, personally I believe it's overplayed. We Black folk need something else to relate to sometimes -- unless you design a quilt pattern for the cover with kente cloth pieces or something like that. Another idea is to include quotes by African Americans that pertain to memories and positive thinking?

Just an idea or two from the peanut gallery...enjoy your day Don.

Hypothetically Speaking said...

I'm not a scrap book type person I guess things that would be signifcant to us - I mean what do people put in scrap books anyway?

If it's food type then, then pictures of things that we - you guys (I'm not American) eat.. you know cobblers and stuff. Or something that symbolises heritage to a lot of us. I have no idea what just throwing stuff out there that you can maybe expand on....

Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Humm maybe they should be more masculine things in scrapbook kits. Like hot rods, fishing, sports. I know I don't want my family showing pictures of me in a frilly book with flowers all in it. Hey and I own a mean dog so don't go dissing him to bad. He doesn't bite unless you come in his yard. lol Have a good one man

Anonymous said...

hi - oh, yeah, scrapping is big
(i've spent a wad)
why not use what you already have... colors from your books or patterns to make paper, borders or stickers & what about words in all kinds of cool type or your own handwriting that honors family and faith

have fun!

-patty

Oricon Ailin said...

Oh no you aren't!!! NO dog rants...none at all! Don't do it Don...don't! hehehe

I'm just kidding. I am a dog lover, but I can't wait to see what you have to say about the muttlies!! hehehe

Now, I'll be honest with you. I despise cats. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them. I am so deathly allergic to them it's not funny. But, in general, I hate cats. hehehehe

Thought I'd tell ya that. *grins*

I'm just pickin' on ya, so don't take any offense.

*HUGS*

The Gig said...

I'm getting a puppy so don't even go there. When I come to visit, I'm bringing it with me so my grandson and I will have fun playing with it. You know you are going to have to buy the son a puppy some day so don't fight it; get used to it. Okay, I'm curious what do you have to say about the pups?

The Gig said...

I'm glad the little man likes his Spiderman underwear. You said he's like his dad -- did I buy you some spiderman underwear too?
:-) :-)

The Archivist said...

I've never heard of scrap booking. I must be behind.

Friar Tuck said...

Rany all ya want, just be ready to get a rant back at ya.

Actually I like the underfriendly dogs on chains more than the overfriendly dogs. A friend's dog (Irish Shepherd) always walks up to women and nestles his face right between their legs. It is downright distracting. (insert smart alec comment here.)

Myrah said...

I scrapbook my heart out! I have a scrapbook software that's great. I'd like to see black american mile stone cut outs. Like our traditional Thanksgiving. Maybe card game night items. Church or Easter items. Family Reunion or little black girl getting her hair curled for the first time!

Let me know if you do the scrapbook items! I'd buy them.