Monday, May 23, 2005

Trophy son

















It was a 95-degree day on Saturday when T-ball ended its season in the same way that soccer ended its season, with the passing out of team pictures and an awards ceremony that included a picnic and trophies for the kids. The son was so proud of himself, as I was of him. I figured, in both cases, the best place to display his trophies would be in the family room, prominently above the fireplace or on the bookshelves where I could brag of his achievements to our guest when the conversational gambit turned to the kids and my boy-wonder. But my son had other ideas about where his trophies should be displayed. He moved them upstairs, displaying them in dad's studio, alongside dad's bodybuilding trophies, alongside dad's design awards, alongside dad's best of category silver illustration award. I love this guy.

Miz Gig, I think I may end up a blubbering crybaby like you and grandpa when it comes to this emotional stuff (only in private). Geez, I hope not, but I think so.

************************************************
Unrelated thought for the day: Does anybody besides the media really care about the anonymous source thing? When was the last time you came across a news story — unless the story was about you — and lost sleep over the fact that the sources remained anonymous?

*************************************************
Word of the day: gambit

15 comments:

princessdominique said...

You're right, I haven't taken a moment to lose sleep over the anonymous source thing. Great trophe!

Anonymous said...

Don,

You have a great web blog. I agree with your wife about you being an "online extrovert". The quiet artist who sits in Features can't be the same person whose blog I just finshed reading. You should speak up more.You are funny, who would had guessed.

--you figure it out. *wink*

Friar Tuck said...

Don, my recent posts don't mean I am mad at ya, just taking the time for some thoughts.

Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Sounds like your boy really looks up to you. So you must be doing something right. Keep up the good work. Glad you both had a good time.

The Gig said...

Hey Mr. "I don't do/I pocket my emotions." Don't tell me that cute little prince Kolb was able to break through the hardness of your heart and actually dug out the emotions that have been planted deep down inside of you all these years. I say "Kolb, my hat's off to you." Even if you did hang up on me earlier when I called to talk to you and apparently mom and dad didn't realize you had answered the phone.

ShellyP said...

Whoa, did you say bodybuilding tropies??

I think the sources should remain anonymous.

Jdid said...

congrats to your son.

Nikki said...

That cool. He wants his trophies to be by his Pops.

The Gig said...

Everybody out there, my grandson is soooo cute. His dad needs to put a picture of him with his big prize winning eyes on his blog, hint, hint. He tells his dad "you're my best friend."

Don Tate II said...

@ anonymous: Now that is too freaky. I hope if you work with me you'll speak up to. Im gonna be lookin over my shoulder all day. You do work with me, right?
Anyway, thanks for the comments. They are actually going to publish one of my blogs next month.

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

Go 'head Kolby! Gone and blubble away Pops! That's awesome! Tears were welling and he ain't even mine! LoL

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

I meant "go on and BLUBBER away..." smh @ myself.

Rinda M. Byers said...

Congratulations to your son! And I think he is a sweetheart--truly!

Do, do, do keeping trying to write the haiku! It is fun for me now, once I stopped worrying about how good or bad the poems might be to everybody else. It is well worth doing for me if for no other reason than just getting my creative processes unblocked on this or that other project. I find it so at least.

I enjoy the pictures a lot on your blog,

Best to you,

Rinda

Friar Tuck said...

What are they going to publish

The Archivist said...

Your son must think VERY highly of you.