Saturday, May 28, 2005

Tagged

A brotha normally doesn't participate in these bloggy-blog type of thingys, but Tiff and ShellyP hit me up and since I have a proclivity for honey-bronzed curly locks and hats a la mode, I gave it a go:

How many books do you own?
Not enough, yet too many. I mean, our house is filled with books. Overly-filled bookshelves make up the quintessential ingredients of our home decor. But can one ever have enough good books?

What was the last book you bought?
Reallionaire: Nine Steps to Becoming Rich from the Inside Out by Farrah Gray. I heard this guy being interviewed on the Neil Bortz radio show, and he was so inspirational, I rushed out and bought his book. This brotha came out of the ghettos of Los Angeles and by the age of 15, he became a millionaire. I love a good rags-to-riches story.

What was the last book you read?
My Father's Summers(read my review) I've been sort of studying teen (young adult) literature as homework for writing my own teen memoir, and possibly a novel. I'm currently reading Rats Saw God by Rob Thomas another teen novel. As far as adult books, the last, I should say, that I completed was The Color Purple. Gosh, that's awful considering that was six months ago. I'm such a slow reader. (heres my review).

Mention five books that have meant a lot to you and that you've read more than three times

Lightnin' don't strike the same place twice, and that's my mantra for book reading as well. I may refer back to a book for whatever reason, but who has time for trippling up on a read?

A) Black Boy, Native Son, and The Long Dream, all by Richard Wright. Ok, thats three but, but I love anything by Richard Wright. My reasons are written in this post.

B) Point Man: How A Man Can Lead His Family by Steve Farrar. One of those books that changed, or could have changed my life had I applied some of the principals. God's not done with me, yet.

C)Think and Grow Rich: A black choice by Dennis Kimbro. I was inspired. I quit my job. I started my own illustration business. I trippled my salary. My taxes became deliquent. I got a job. I work at the damn newspaper. *sigh*

D)Finding Fish: A Memoir by Antwone Q. Fisher. I don't know that this book had any great meaning for me, but I so related to the young Antwone Fisher. I had much in common with this character. Disregard the Denzel Washington movie which didn't do the book justice. In fact, forget the movie.

F) Makes Me Wanna Holler: A Young Black Man in America by Nathan McCall. Again, I love stories about African American men who have triuphphed ,<----(ooh, I messed that word up) over great odds.

Can I add another category? Books I didn't like. I didn't like that Michael J. Foxx book. I don't know why I thought I was going to like this book, but once I reached the second trimester, I realized that although he's a cool guy and a good actor, why am I reading about Michael J. Foxx?

Who am I tagging? Mz. Gig. Ok, I know the Gig don't do too much reading, so I'll change the direction a bit. Movies. And no, The Young and the Restless ain't no movie.

In other news: The Texas Book Festival has released its authors list for 2005, and a brotha wasn't invited, yet again, this year. *cuts his eyes at whom ever*

************************************************
Unrelated thought for the day: A study finds a link between chemicals and damage to infants' genitals. I guess that explains why the judge barred the Michael Jackson wee-wee photos.
*************************************************
Word of the day: a la mode

6 comments:

Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Reading who has time to read casualy lol. I read the Bible daily but other then that I haven't read much. Except Joel Osteens - Your Best Life Now. Which was a great book. Other then that not to much reading lol.

Friar Tuck said...

So thats what happened to me, my mom around too much chemicals. LOL.
Just kidding.

Christianity Today's book awards just came out today as well.

WIP said...

Your list has me with Post-it and pen in hand. I know where I'll be this afternoon ... Perusing those titles. You are quite the well-rounded readin' brotha. Thanxs for sharing an' finishin' the game.

Rinda said...

Your house sounds like ours! Chucked full of books! A lot of them very well worn

I'm being an old fuddy-duddy in reading right now, starting out the summer with re-reading "The Lord of the Rings", with an eye to Tolkien's writing techniques and numerous quilting and art books and.....Jon Franklin's "Writing for Story"


Rinda.....off to the sewing stores now....

Jdid said...

I'm terible with reading these days. I've started about 5 books in the past year and not finished one.

Susan Taylor Brown said...

You're right, of course, one can never have too many books. People (non-writers & non-readers) come into our place and think they are in a library. Writers and readers come in and call it cozy. I think we're up over 5,000 books now. A couple of people ask why I don't go to the library and I do, but not often. I want to own the books so I can go to them in the middle of the night to look up some obscure scene. I want to leave Post-it notes on them when I put them back on the shelf. And when I am depressed I want to sit on the floor and pull books off the shelf and hug them the way a child does a security blanket.

Write on, right now.
Susan