Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Promoting literacy






























Figured I should move on to a more palatable post. Here's a look at an illustration I painted which recently published in Read and Rise Magazine. Read and Rise is a magazine founded in partnership between Scholastic Inc. and the National Urban League. African American children are encouraged to share the joy of reading through stories and activities. Nearly 800,000 Read and Rise guides have been distributed, along with the magazine (free of charge, I believe) to parents, caregivers and educators coast to coast. The magazine itself (pictured above) is of very high quality art, glossy paper and fine printing. It's not a cheap giveaway. They've chosen to work with such name brand writers and illustrators as Floyd Cooper, Frank Morrison, Colin Bootman, Anna Rich, Cornelius Van Wright and Ying-Hwa Hu, just to name a few. It's an honor to be included alongside these folks.

8 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

good work

WIP said...

I saw a PDF that I could download, but no actual link for a FREE copy of the magazine shown in your post. I did save the link to my "Kid Stuff" favorites folder though. Thanks for the info; great illustration work you've got there.

princessdominique said...

Fabulous work. I'm going to keep an eye out for it. I love the unity of bloggerdom.

Nikki said...

Don, that is amazing work you're going my brotha!! I'm always proud to see other artists doing their thang.

The Gig said...

How do I get a prescription of the magazine? Again and again, you continue to make me proud of you. Good work!

The Gig said...

DUH!!! I didn't proof read the last comment. How do I get a subscription of the magazine? Sounds as though Maybe I really do need a prescription -- one to help me to pay more attention to what I'm writing.

Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Great work as usual. You are a real inspiration. Back in school I used to write allot and had an artical posted in a book that was for children with great writing skills it was my biography but I never did get a copy of the book and really don't know what it was called. I also used to love drawing houses. Humm maybe I should start up some of these things again. I could use a hobbie.

The Archivist said...

That is a great illustration!! Very well drawn!