Thursday, May 12, 2005

Like I don't already have enough to do

18 full-color spreads, plus 1 book cover, plus 12 young adult novels, plus one full-time job, plus one part-time job equals one estranged wife, an out of control kid and a whacked out of his mind children's book artist. But that's my life. What's an artist to do? Start a second blog! Every so often, I will review a recent children's book read. I'll be looking mainly at picture books but, as of late, I've expanded my horizon to include young adult novels. I'll give my feedback on those as well. Sometimes. Nothing official here, just my opinions, how outrageous they may be, about one of my favorite things to do, checkin' out art and words in children's books. Check me out soon (in about a month) when I take a look a recent retelling of Helen Bannerman's The Story of Little Black Sambo (Handprint Books, 2003).

"But Devas T., why not review your books here on Rants and Raves?" you're begging an answer. Because I've discovered that this blog, although originally targeted to the children's literary community, has drawn a more diverse readership. I'm not even sure if the lit community is checkin' a brotha out, So why bore everyone else with my thoughts on, say, The Little Engine That Could? I'm still gonna be me up in here, this isn't a blog about current events, pop culture, or the latest music. It just Devas T., all the time, rantin' and ravin' about the highs and lows in the life of children's book illustrator Don Tate. Thanks for your support.

8 comments:

The Gig said...

Hi Devas T. You mentioned the book "The Little Black Sambo." I remember that story well from my days in grade school.

Maybe you can help me with something. When I was very young in grade school, I went to a summer daily camp. The place was called "The Jewish Community Center." I used to sit in the library and read a series of books. The bad thing is, I don't know the names of the books but all I know is they were about a little black boy named Nickodemus (sp). This may not be enough information for you, but if there is any possible way to find those books, please let me know. Love ya, Mom

Luke Cage said...

You know as artists, we never have enough to do. There's always life to consider outside of our chosen medium and some of us even have the audacity to have life come in second-lol I hear ya on the second blog.

I have 2 myself, one which I kind of abandoned over there at my Fantasy Beyond website and of course the Splinter Cell. Good to keep 2 different styles separate from eachother and with their own audience. Keep it coming Don.

WIP said...

Keep doin' you...

princessdominique said...

Great idea Devas to start another blog for that! I'll check it out--most definitely.

Brea said...

Glad to hear you're not leaving . . . I'd have to cry ;0)

The Complimenting Commenter said...

Very interesting blog. It sounds like you are succeeding, and stressing, very well. Good job and great blog.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting earlier.

Kim said...

I can't wait to read your new blog too. It will be a nice change to see some of these books from an illustrator's perspective.

Great new pic, by the way!

Nikki said...

I'll definitely be checking out your second blog as well. And I feel your pain because I'm an artist as well and I stay busy constantly. Sometimes cutting into my time with my boyfriend.