Friday, April 15, 2005

Sneakin' a blog

Received a DVD in the mail from children's author Angela Shelf Medearis. She has put together a new children's TV program called Angela's Notebook which has the feel of Lavar Burton's Reading Rainbow. For now Angela's Notebook airs locally on Austin's community television station, channel 16 on Tuesday evenings at 7:30. But her goal is to go national as soon as the financial backing is in order.
"So, Devas T.," you think to yourself sitting in your most uncomfortable, ergonomically-incorrect, computer chair. "We are a busy blogging community, get to the meat of the matter. What does all this got to do with you?"
Another good observation, my bloggin' brethren. I am one of her first guest to appear on the TV show. And although I am happy how it turned out, outstanding animation, thought-provoking narration, my speaking parts only worked because of their creative editing team. I was a nervous wreck. Sweating and stuttering.

This segment, which also starred Austin illustrator Tom Shefelman, discussed the history of illustration in children's books, the process of illustrating, how an illustrator and and editor work together at producing the final art, and offered some tips for aspiring illustrators. I only wish they would have sourced some of the tips and illustration process to me, since they used my words verbatim from my interview and website. But that's ok, Michael and Angela are on my cool list, so it's all just a thing. Here's a look at some of the footage:

A much balder me as I discuss the process of illustrating a children's book. Yes, I'm shiny from sweat after they shut me up in my studio, cut off my air conditioning for the sake of sound quality and closed my doors and windows in the middle of an Austin summer.



























Some of my illustrations from Black All Around! written by Patricia Hubbell, narrated by Angela Shelf Medearis.



...Crayons, crickets, the bottom of the sea, the empty place where a tooth should be. ...











...The cozy night, when there is no light,...













...Some chickens, some bunnies, some cows and goats...










************************************************
Unrelated thought for the day: Somehow, I don't think the idea of a date night between the wife and I consisted of me, the wife...and the son, with him in our bed because he has a cold and he's coughin'. Midlife. *sigh*

6 comments:

Oricon Ailin said...

Way to go!! Congrats on being on the show! I love your artwork that you showed us. Wonderful, absolutely stunning. *smiles*

And, I'm glad that you got to blog a bit. *smiles* Try not to be a stranger, okay?

Good luck on finishing your book.

Blessings!

greggy said...

Mr D! I love your style of illustration, very smooove. As far as the date night with the wife...ahh, the joys of parenthood, eh? :o)

WIP said...

Aw...Congrats on your TV spot. You portrayed quite the artist to the Austin community. I was wondering where your glasses were? You look great w/o them (although I love glasses on men-- they look extra smart-- which is always a plus! And, yes my SO wears a pair of serious eyes, LOL!)

I'm glad you finally rationed out a ramble or two to us "lowly" stalking bloggers (granted I'm not the first to comment which means I'm not the only "stalker" ha ha).

Keep plugging away at your 'script. It'll come together before you know it. Have you started eating, sleeping, and dreaming your memoir yet? Feel free to always come check us out for "inspiration!"

Friar Tuck said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

That is so very cool, Don! I wish they aired it in San Antonio too, would love to have seen it, the jitters and all! Hey, that just shows that you care. =O)
Good luck with your future speaking engagement in Tampa! Wow!I really admire that you agree to do these things eventhough they make you nervous. After my first little taste of it myself I can really identify! ~ www.rozzieland.blogs.com

The Archivist said...

Your artwork looks pretty cool, man. You look to be doing absolutely freaking well with your drawings...