Thursday, April 21, 2005

Drawing with words





What has happened to me? I'm a visual artist. I draw pictures. But as of late, words are on my mind. They envelop my thoughts. What will I write in my book manuscript today? What will I blog about? What words go together just right? What words don't? So many questions concerning words. These weren't my thoughts a year ago when my mind was filled with visuals. Color; what is the right hue? Style; what technique will I use? Composition; how will I lay out shapes to create balance? Then, there were questions concerning visuals, thoughts about drawings that consumed my days, even my nights. Transfixed on visual storytelling.
When I first started writing just a few months ago, it came awkward. Words; they don't flow out of my mouth so well. Apprehensive; I can't share my writing, can't let anyone actually read them. Blocked; at a loss for what to write about each day. That's not a problem any longer. Now this blog seems to write itself. Writing a book, I was like a beginning swimmer, standing on the side of the pool, foot in water but not wanting to jump in. Satisfied to stand on the side, foot submerged, nothing more. Not confident enough to jump in. Now the pages flow like the water in that pool. The story is telling it self. Still transfixed on visual storytelling, but creating visuals in the readers mind using words. I didn't say the writing was good. I'm just more comfortable with it. And it really doesn't matter because I truly enjoy it. So much so, that if I never illustrate another children's book, I'll be ok. I'm cool with that. As long as I can someday write one. Isn't that crazy?

************************************************
Unrelated thought for the day: That is one scary-lookin' pope.

10 comments:

Kim said...

I agree...there's something about blogging that takes the pressure off and makes it fun again. The blogging has really helped me too.

WIP said...

OMG (OhMyGosh)!... I was just thinking about how words too have begun to consume me. No kidding. I have always "walked" with a notebook; always listening capturing the words I hear or even read across billboards, onto the pages. (I still haven't graduated from napkins/post-its/backs of receipts yet.) The thoughts really seem to flow while in the potty room though (TMI- *wink*). I've become comfortable and the words I write in my blog flow like "Rivers of living waters." Believe it or not, I was going to post about my verboseness in my post, yet I don't really talk as much when around people (Much rather listen, then I can get more stuff to blog about, *suspiciously rolls eyes*.). That seems like a common thread amongst authors. I think that "I" write so much is because I've got years and years and years of stuff bottled up in me and haven't been able to express it. Being home without "adult" conversation a lot of the time used to be difficult...Until I discovered blogs. Now, it has given me the push to write and helps with my personal memoir writing as well. I don't know if that's any good either, but I've read some pretty crappy first books. All it takes is just one (like Lays) and you'll want to write another. Practice makes perfect!
I'm with you all the way, my friend.

WIP said...

One more thing, my husband looks at me in amazement sometimes (I see him look'n when I'm busy typing away at the keys.) and wonders how on earth I have "all" that to write about (even when I'm just commenting). I take writing seriously, even though I don't truly believe I have what it takes, like some of the top notch authors of our times or times past. It's amazing that you (shoot and I) would may have never known how "easy" writing would get and the joy it would create in us until we stepped off the boat and into the water. Have you launched out into the deep yet? Yes, we put our writing on blast for any and everybody to read...You're the one who has us blown away; your writing is truly a gift from God! I can't wait to read your finished product.

Blessings...

Nzyme said...

Your blog is wonderful. When you have a chance, go over and join Texas Bloggers. Here's the link:

http://www.texasblogs.net/

Have a blessed day!!

diong said...

Excellent post and writing!

Interesting... I wish I too could write as easily as that. I tried to write and blog but it is just not fun. So... what I'm trying to do now is post sketches and drawings and just write a little :-) ... and it is a lot more fun!

Anyways you have excellent blog and artwroks!

Nikki said...

Just when I think I have nothing to blog about, something always seems to present itself. It's that little release that I need to blow off steam.

Christopher M. Beatrice said...

*scratches head, and thinks I thought I was the only one who tried to kill there self in the bathroom with cleaners, another caution don't use bleach and The Works.. Talk about hazerdous lol.. Well as for words humm some days I don't have a clue what to write and some days I just can't shut up.. well anyway have a great day

greggy said...

you know D...concerning your unrelated thought for the day, I was thinking the exact same thing about the new Pope...LOL.

I have always struggled when it comes to writing, but let me paint you a picture or draw something and I'm in my element...thats why I go for long periods on my blog with nothing new to say...it's all relative...and good.

ManNMotion said...

I'd say it's good that the cork has been popped. I know that's how I feel...and you're a much better writer than I am.

The Archivist said...

Scary looking pope?

Yup. You're right. However, his personality matters more, right?

And sometimes words are hard to get out there. I spent three hours last night trying to create one simple blog.