Saturday, April 23, 2005

Ahhh-haaaaooooo-waaaa-eee-jahaaa!

I woke up in the middle of the night, hot and thirsty and needed a cold drink of water. As I walked down the stairs, I thought I saw something stir at the window of our front door. Made a mental note. I walk past the window glancing out at the blue-black dark night and head for the kitchen, feeling a bit uneasy. After drinking my water, I head back passing the front door again, this time clearly seeing a flicker outside of the window. I step back thinking I see a shadow glide past the window pane. I'm still half sleep, so maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. But there's clearly another movement, then the complete outline of a large human-ish figure. My mind wonders off, thinking of the abandoned cemetery on the other side of our subdivision. The latch moves slightly upward. Someone is trying to open my front door! I'm frozen in my tracks. Fear overtakes me. I see the alarm and reach for the panic button next to the door, but my arms just go limp. I open my mouth to yell. Maybe I'll scare them away. Maybe they'll be just as scared of me as I am of them. Maybe they'll turn and run. I look deeper out the window, trying to focus when I see his eyes looking back at me, glowing a subdued yellow in the darkness, not at all scared of my presence. I open my mouth, form my lips, attempt to yell but nothing comes out. I force it, feeling my words form in the back of my throat but not able to release them. The door unlatches and opens. My voice finally escapes. I yell at the top of my lungs, "Ahhh-haaaooooo-jahaaa-wwwaaaaa-eeeee!"

I wake in my bed to find myself screaming an absolutely awful noise that probably woke and scared the neighbors, too. Not to mention, the wife and she wasn't amused.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm kind of a weird brotha. "You're kinda different than other husbands," the wife always says. Why is it I’m too shy to chat with the folks in the cubicles around me, but I can announce to the whole internet that I talk—worse yet—scream in my sleep? Have you ever had that sensation of trying to yell, kick or run in your sleep, but your body is frozen? Your mind is telling your body to do something, and since your body is sleep, it ain't movin.’

According to my internet search, I either have some bizarre sleep disorder, some unexpressed thoughts or feelings from the previous day, separation anxiety from my mommy, or I'm experiencing a supernatural assault called witch-riding. The witch thing kinda makes my hairs stand on end just thinking about it, and according to this article, it's more common among people of African descent. Naa, I just think I'm kind of a wierd brotha.

If there are any psychiatric blurkers around, please speak up!

Ward over at the Ward-o-matic had the great idea of calling blurkers out. Blurkers; those who lurk on a persons blog, but never speak up or post a comment. He demanded the blurkers speak up. And they did. More than 30 of 'em. Don't make me go there. Speak up.

************************************************
Unrelated thought for the day: Am I a mean guy if I don't like ice cream trucks? Theres one passing my house right now, and it is so loud that it drowns out my creativity music. He comes through here everyday and drives in circles for at least an hour. And don't even think of trying to take a nap after Sunday church services. You'll be awakend to "She'll be commin round the mountain when she comes...She'll be commin round the mountain... . Oh, I could just throw a brick at the guy.

No more bloggin for awhile, at least a week. Thanks guys!

18 comments:

joser said...

Found your blog while hitting the "Next Blog" button. I constantly have weird dreams that make no sense, and occassionally have those dreams when you want to scream, but can't. I've somewhat trained myself to wake myself up in those situations. I tell me myself, "Okay, wake up... now," and somehow I do.

You have an interesting site here. I read a few of your blogs, entertaining. I'll have to add you to my list of blogs that I check out. Alright, peace.

WIP said...

I ain't no lurker! *LOL* As for the sleep thing, you better be say'n your prayers at night beyond, "Now I lay me down to sleep..." Ha ha. Your people think you are weird? I guess that's the beauty of the 'net, cause I would'a never associated that word with you. Creative thinker maybe, not weird. Maybe I'm weird too...I dunno?

So your ole ghost dreams gonna keep you away from blog'n- again? It's okay, as long as you come back with some majorly funny stuff to share. Internet folk seem to become like family and with that, we understand that we can't always hear from each other as often as we'd like. We're here though, in spirit, lurking your spot, waiting patiently for posts...

Hopluv said...

For fear of the "blurker" label I'm speaking up!lol. This is my first vist here, thanks for stopping by my place. Love the site! You are extremely talented and have great things to say, I shall return.

princessdominique said...

I am definitely not a lurker *grin* I've been here at least once before and posted too--so there! :) Your dream was really weird, don't know what to make of it. One question though, I wonder what Halle would think?

Friar Tuck said...

Writers are often introverts. You have to spend a lot of time alone and just thinking to write and draw well.

ShellyP said...

You know me, I'm no blurker!

I have dreams like the ones you mentioned. They can be quite disconcerting, to say the least. Most times I'm in between sleep and consciousness. I feel like I'm trying to move or get up but can't.

Myrah said...

Hey there Devas thanks for stopping by my spot and leaving a nice comment!

DUDE!!! This happens to ME!!!!!
The first time I was so unset. I was screaming from my very inner soul and nothing would come out!! I tried to move my legs and arms to get up and nothing!! I felt like what ever it was, was pressing on top of me. It seemed like I was running around on the inside of my body trying to get out! I was screaming but no sound!!
(The second time it happened it was morning and I could see but could not move just scream in silence)

Suddenly it started to lift when I started thinking the name JESUS! It lifted slowly and when it did my screams went to an audible real low to a full blown knock my husband out of bed holler! It is the worst feeling!! I cried like a baby!

I have been told it is Demonic. Not that you are demonic in any way but that the Devil is just messin with you. For sure start saying your prayers at night and ask the Lord to keep you!!

Grace and Peace Bro!

greggy said...

man...I guess it something that happens to quite a few folk...I've had many dreams like that where I was trying to scream or yell and wasn't squat coming out...LOL. The wife even had to wake me a few times 'cause I was yelling and carrying on in my sleep...I personally think it's demons trying to latch on when you're sleep...they like the IRS, always trying to get in on ya...LOL.

p.s...I have my fair share of "blurkers" on my site as well..*sigh*

brainhell said...

I don't like the ice cream truck either.

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

I was visiting ManNMotion's blog, and found yours.

Can't move or yell in your sleep? Old country folks call that "WITCH ON YOUR BACK". Myrah's right. Once, I remembered being conscious enough to think, in my sleep, "Jesus! Get 'em OFF me!"

Christopher M. Beatrice said...

humm sounds like a pretty wild dream, I used to have a dream about rescueing my family in a abandoned cave with evil things trying to nab us.. who knows.. as one of my friends says maybe it is just bean dreams lol..

The Gig said...

Mom Says...

Wow! that happens to me too. Sometimes in the middle of the night, I will try to wake up but can't. Oftentimes I will call out for someone to wake me but no one seems to hear. That's an awful feeling. I sometimes laugh, scream or talk in my sleep.

One night while Visiting Butchy in Minnesota, he woke me up saying that I was getting on Shawn's case for disrespecting you and Tammy. Apparently I was really angry with her because I was chewing her out. (Sorry Shawn, I didn't know I was upset with you when I went to bed that night).

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

***POST CORRUPTION***

LoL @at your comment on my blog.

We fired up the grill, had wall 2 wall liquor, rented movies (gory thrillers). Maybe it's me, but scary movies are funny when you're drunk. (hiccup)

BUT there's always ONE in every crowd. I thought the drama was left on the porch, and we were gonna have a good time just clowning around.

I think you 'jinxed' me with your blog. My husband said I was trying swat something in my sleep, and he thought I said SOMEthing about snakes. I don't know how he got that out of 'argmafugwatnoogie'....

Is that Latin? :oP

Oricon Ailin said...

Don't worry Don, you are not alone. Many of us have dreams where you are trapped within them. You're not weird or anything! *HUGS*

Hey, your dream at least made sense. I have one about killer hotdogs. I don't know what to think about that one! Maybe Oscar Mayer has it in for me or something! HAHA.

Good luck on your book...we'll miss you! We will patiently wait til you return! *smiles*

Luke Cage said...

Hey Don, what's happening man? I finally made it to your spot. As you were describing your vision at the front door my mind drifted off into the movie Donnie Darko. In case you haven't seen it, he looks out of his front door and notices a "6-foot tall menacing rabbit!" I know, that's crazy, but think about how scary that would look if you wake up in the middle of the night seeing something like that man.

But, aren't you glad that was just a dream??? That would've creeped out anyone. In fact I had a dream today something akin to trying to kick and do all kinds of things to get out of it. Even though, as I type this I can't recall what the dream was about-lol-Go figure. Hey, I'm still working on the kinks over at the Splinter Cell! Have a good week off man.


http://devast.blogspot.com/

courtneyelizabeth said...

lol...i woulda been hot too....*before i rolled back over* and *before i told you to shutup*...lol..

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

I once dreamed of boneless turkies falling out the sky, like rain. That's about as bizarre as it gets for me. LoL

The Archivist said...

That, if anything, was an oddly disturbing dream. Do you often have ones like that?

And yes, I'm back to finish off the remaining months.