Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Changing gears

A conversation I recently had over lunch with two of my law school educated, well published, nice author friends who live in a very cool old house with a friendly ghost:

Devas T.: Think I'd like to do some writing someday. Maybe a children's picture book.

My law school educated, well published, nice author friends who live in a very cool old house with a friendly ghost: Picture books are great. Go for it! But why not give a try at writing a young adult memoir similar to your style of writing used in this blog?

Devas T.: I draw pictures. I can't write. (excuses)

My law school educated, well published, nice author friends who live in a very cool old house with a friendly ghost: We've read your blog, we think you can write. You have talent. You just need to develop it further.

Devas T.: Thanks, but I have a full-time job. I illustrate children's books. I have a wife and a son. An internet connection. I don't have time to sleep, much less write a young adult memoir? When would I do that? (more excuses, fear of failure, rejection)

My law school educated, well published, nice author friends who live in a very cool old house with a friendly ghost: During the hour or more you spend everyday blogging. Cut back your blogging time and write a book manuscript instead.

Devas T.: Geniuses! But where do I start?

My law school educated, well published, nice author friends who live in a very cool old house with a friendly ghost: Continue writing. Tell your story. Read plenty of other young adult novels. We can recommend a few to start with.

I think my law school educated, well-published, nice author friends who live in a cool old house with a friendly ghost are exactly right. I do write everyday. That takes discipline. I can do this! So for that reason, from this day forward, I will blog just once or twice per week. I'll still write everyday. But but to be published. No, not with Blogger. A book publisher. A children's book publisher. And with the strong support of the children's literary community in Austin, I think I an do this. So, who is my law school educated, well published, nice author friends who live in a very cool house with a friendly ghost? I'm not saying. Don't want their mailboxes bombarded with 50 "can you please read my manuscript" emails. I will reveal who they are on the dedication page of my first published young adult memoir.


************************************************
Unrelated thought for the day: Is it just me, or has Blogger not been workin' right?

2 comments:

ShellyP said...

Why don't you blog your memoir? You'd be killing two birds with one stone. You can even make the blog private so it won't show up in your profile and no one will know where it is. You could also leave it public and accept input or turn off comments.

Dee said...

I'm with you on the "Blogger not working right" thing. It started messing up for me last week. Ever since then, Ive been avoiding my blog. Terrible, but I want to post pictures tso badly, and I just can't deal with Blogger frustration right now. I take it out on my computer, and my dogs hate it when I yell. :)