Saturday, February 26, 2005

Oscar Sunday

In a recent interview, Chris Rock called the Academy Awards "idiotic" for giving out honors for the arts. Rock was quoted as saying, "What straight black man sits there and watches the Oscars?"

So, will I watch on Sunday? Hell yea! Will I care about the fashions? Hell yea! I guess you forgot about that green, low-cut, practically-frontless number that Jennifer Lopez wore some time ago to the Oscars. Or maybe it was the Grammys, but who's counting. Rock is a comedian. And a talented, savy one at that. He knows what he's doing. Getting attention. That's what they hired him for. So, the more controversial and outlandish his comments, the more of us will tune in to watch what's being described as a slow Oscar year. I mean if they wanted boring and uncontroversial they'd have hired Paul McCartney, as the Super Bowl did.

My father-in-law is the manliest of men. Afterall, he's a Super Bowl watcher even without Janet Jackson to spruce things up. But he'll be watching the Oscars, too. For the last month, he and his wife have been in hot pursuit to see all the nominated movies. They have the winners made up in their own minds. They'll rejoice. They'll lament. But whatever happens, they'll be tuned in.

I'm on deadline. My first set of sketches is due to the publisher next week. So, I'll be busy working. But I'll have one eye on my drawings and the other on Hilary Swank.

Fashion show? Sure it is. But so's the typical black baptist congregation on any given Sunday. Full of men in their Sunday best. And they'll be watching and cheering, along with their wives and girlfriends, for Jamie Foxx or Don Cheadle to walk away as the Best Actor in a Leading Role. And so will I.

************************************************
Unrelated thought for the day: Um, Jennifer Lopez in that green, low-cut, practically-frontless number

4 comments:

Diva said...

Okay, lemme start off by saying I just finished reading your entire blog. I love reading. Always have. Reading and music. Wait. I'm starting to ramble. Sorry. LOL
Anyhoo, I'm really diggin' it. It's comfortable. Familiar. Drop by my spot. I'll definitely look up some of the books you've illustrated in for the kids. Take care.

Extra Strength Surfing Fingers said...

Like diva, I too just finished reading your blog. It's great!

I found you through your comment on Chris' Return to Happiness blog.

Keep up the great work. I've blogrolled you too. ;)

Anne said...

Oh, i think it's Foxx hands down.

My great anticipation of pleasure lies in knowing the event, a huge snooze-fest in recent past years, finally holds promise. We'll have a hugely funny emcee telling jokes and quips to a largely over-botoxed audience, many of whom cannot move the upper two-thirds of their faces. Plus... Rock may finally be the catalyst Oscar needs. I mean, you put him in the same room with those females of frontless gowns, tons of bling, and the likes of Robin Williams and Prince... who knows?

The Archivist said...

Where can I find a picture of J-Lo in this dress?