Friday, February 04, 2005

Lunch money

Got an interesting phone call today. Went something like this:

Devas T.: Hello.

Hyperion Books for Children: Hello, Don Tate please.

Devas T.: This is he.

HBC: This is Dan with HBC, did you receive the W9 tax forms we mailed to you about two months ago?

Devas T.: Sorry, no.

HBC: You have royalties coming. There was an oversight and we didn't get your last statement out to you. But we can't send a check until we have the signed W9 form.

Devas T: !!!!!

HBC: I'm going to drop another form in the...

Devas T. interrupts: If the form is available as a pdf, please email that instead. It will be faster. How much money?

HBC: I don't know the amount, I don't have access to that information. I just know royalties are due to you.

Devas T.: Ok, thanks. Bye.

So I get off the phone. Plow through old royalty statements. I figure maybe I can estimate an amount based upon past royalty statements.

Five years to earn back a 5k advance, four pages of W9 and I'll earn about $19.00 in additional royalty.

I've resolved not to curse. At least not here.

1 comment:

The Archivist said...

Looks like you're doing well, my friend!

Congrats!