Sunday, February 13, 2005

A literary event - a crossroads

So, I'm doing this literary event at a small-town, rural library. I am one of three author/artist invited and we are having a "celebrity" dinner at the home of a librarian who helped to organize the event. She and her husband are so excited to to host this dinner, everything laid out with fancy flower-print china and silver. The table is set, the guest are all seated, the food is served. I load up my spoon with mashed potatoes. The librarian is looking at me in anticipation of my reaction to her home-cooked meal. I run my tongue across my teeth and notice a loose tooth in the front of my mouth. I put the spoon down, and give it a wiggle. It comes out right there in front of everyone. I quickly slip it away into my napkin as though no one has seen. Just in time to notice another tooth has come loose. I fidget my tongue around the now two holes inside my mouth. I soon have a mouthful of teeth laying on my tongue that I'm too embarrassed to remove. The librarian who has never taken her eyes off me seems quite irritated. "Could you please excuse yourself?" she asks. I go to the restroom and I spit out the remaining teeth. I smile a toothless grin at myself in the mirror although nothing is funny.

This is the dream, or maybe nightmare I had last night. I can remember it vividly. What does it mean? Does it have to mean anything? Maybe it was just a silly, meaningless dream like I have every night.

I'm a person of faith, so I don't believe in fortunetellers or things of such, but I decide to see if there are any teeth falling out explanations on the internet. I found several and there seemed to be some commonality in them. I'm either getting old, and afraid of losing my teeth or It's a warning sign to "pay attention," you're facing a major milestone, a new phase in life. Oh my gosh.

What new phase might I be facing? My teeth are fine, I hope. No baby on the horizon, I hope. All my 2000 parts are in good working order, I know. And there's no career changes planned, unfortunately. But I do seem to have this writing bug.

This blog proves that I am untrained. I am no William Shakespeare, but I look forward to writing something everyday. This blog gives me a reason to write something. And that's a start. Some author friends have planted some big ideas in my head. Is this the crossroads that has my teeth falling out? I mean, this dream did have a literary slant and I was happy in the end.

Pie in the sky, wouldn't it be wild if that literary award came as a book I had written, not illustrated!

Think I like this dream, I'm going back to sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had dreams like this before and I wondered about the same thing. Why are my teeth falling out?? I read somewhere that it has something to do with insecurity , a lack of confidence about something important going on in your life. Interesting. Yes indeed, your dream was very revealing!! Sweet dreams ~ www.rozzieland.blogs.com

Cynthia Leitich Smith said...

You should ask Dianna Aston. She is a dream guru. Go see: http://www.diannaaston.com/home.html

The Archivist said...

That dream is slightly unusual. Kinda like those dreams where you're naked in front of a lot of people.

indigene said...

Oh my gosh! I've had this dream sooo many times! lol! I have since found out, that apparently it means that you have too much on your plate and are anxious about completing them all! It's it amazing that teeth and responsibilities go hand in hand? My question is why do we have this type of dream and why teeth? Your blog is the best! I treat myself to reading a little of it at a time, so that I don't read it all! It's a special treat after phone calls, art making, part-time job, being a wife, a mommy, a sister, daughter and teacher! I think I need sleep now!
www.indigeneartforms.blogspot.com