Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Yikes! I'm getting old

A.M. posting

The grey in my fro gives me a look of distinction and aged, sex-appeal, so I'm told. But as far as I'm concerned, it just means I'm getting old. And forgetful.

My boss gave me an assignment on Friday. The assignment was pretty simple. Copy text from one file to another. I worked the weekend, and it wasn't busy at all. So there's no excuse. No one to point the finger at. I just plain forgot.

People have been fired in newsrooms for lesser offenses. Newsroom deadlines offer no room for missing a deadline. If a page goes to press at 6, and the graphic isn't done, that ain't good. What'd my boss have to say? "We'll talk." Thing is, I have a pretty nice boss. He's cool-headed and laid back. Not just saying that hoping he'll discover my post here and offer some grace, either. And not to take advantage. So we'll see what happens.

I'm not so much scared of losing my job as I am of getting fired. My children's publishing business has been exploding. I could easily make it on my own. But I'm not trying to add fired to my resume either.

P.M. posting

Still employed. More grey hair. Sexier, so I'm told.

1 comment:

The Archivist said...

Good to hear that you did not lose your job. And growing old ... you're never old as long as you keep laughing.