Saturday, January 15, 2005

Like father, like son?

Who says the apple doesn't fall far from the tree? I'm an artist. My wife is an artist. My son ain't.

Kolby is 3-years old, potty-trained and old enough that we can get him involved in something. Time to discover his talents. Maybe karate. I've always thought that kinda cool. Maybe soccer. We have a house in the burbs. We have a mini-van. Doesn't a soccer kid naturally follow? Maybe gymnastics. That would offer an alternative place for him to jump besides our bed. Instead, we settled on art.

In our first session, we made mask. We cut, colored and glued. Kolb was terribly excited — about the freight train passing by the window.

In our second session, we created a space-aged collage complete with planets and a rocket. Kolb was terribly excited - to end the project, remove his smock, wash his hands so we could go to the park.

So he's not the budding artist that I was at 3, but we only have four weeks of art classes to go. Then it's on to soccer.

1 comment:

The Archivist said...

I think I see a pattern. Your son is more interested in the non-art class portion of the art class.