Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Diversifying my portfolio

I love doing this children's book thing. Knowing that my artwork is helping a child to read is a huge payoff for me and more importantly, for the child. But the financial dividends are small. So I'm diversifying.

I took a few days off from illustrating my book, THE HIDDEN FEAST to pursue an African American tweener property I've been developing. A tween being a child usually between 8 and 12 years old. Tweener properties are very hot now, just take a look at the Bratz, So Girly or Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi. Not a black one in the bunch. My daughter says the Bratz's Sasha is supposed to be African American, but I couldn't tell. My tweener design will be unmistakably African American, fo shizzle! I've been having conversations with Shades of Color, a company which focuses on products featuring African American artist and artwork. This first product will be a 2006 calendar. Currently I am in the beginning stages, that frustrating part where I wait on my people to play phone tag with their people in order to finalize the paperwork. In the meantime, I pull my hair out. I’m losing time and the deadlines won't change.Such is the life on an illustrator.

Meantime, back to sketching my book, currently in a similar situation.

2 comments:

Cynthia Leitich Smith said...

Diversifying sounds like a good plan.

On the book front, though, maybe you need to generate your own projects. Puts you in the driver's seat. All these author fans of yours in Austin (at least two) would no doubt be glad to help.

Why don't you think about doing a picture book biography? Non-fiction kind of thing.

The Archivist said...

I feel you man. Deadlines suck. Recently I was a little less than a week late on one. That did not feel good.