Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Coretta Scott King Illustration Award Predictions

First day back to work after the holidays. My full-time job is at the newspaper. Guess I should be more concerned about my present assignment; creating a map of north Austin, locating the newest extended stay condos....BLECH!

My mind goes to all the talented African American children's book illustrators. How will I ever get a Coretta Scott King Illustration award with competition like Frank Morrison, Kadir Nelson and Bryan Collier? Not to lament, but to celebrate! Here's my predictions for the 2005 Coretta Scott King Award to be announced at the American Library Association's 2005 Midwinter Meeting, January 14-19.

My preference:
Sure as Sunrise: Stories of Bruh Rabbit, illustrated by me, of course

Predicted winner:
Ellington Was Not a Street,
illustrated by Kadir Nelson

-or-

Sweet Music in Harlem,
illustrated by Frank Morrison

Very cool:
John's Secret Dreams: The Life of John Lennon, illustrated by Bryan Collier

Other nice ones:
Jump! From the Life of Michael Jordan,
illustrated by Floyd Cooper
A very Coretta Scott King-ish type of book

Coretta Scott King award recipients are authors and illustrators of African descent whose distinguished books promote an understanding and appreciation of the "American Dream." I'm more into the illustration side of things, so I won't make any author predictions

2 comments:

Karissa (mommy) said...

I'm wondering if you can give me any advice on how to get something published? Like who did you go to, how long did it take, how long? You see my boyfriend is a great writer (in my opinion) as well as a great illustrator. He never wrote a childrens book until we found out I was pregnant with our beautiful daughter Isabella. We live in North Dakota and I feel like he's not sure how to move on from just writing to actually getting a book out there. If you could help him any way please just leave a comment on my blog...anywhere. I want to help him out because he is such a greater writer and illustrator...in my opinion. I know you can't just give him access to publishers, but from what I've read it sounds like you might know some things that I don't. Anything you can contribute would be helpful. Thanks! Happy New Year!!!

The Archivist said...

I guess I should ask: Did you win?