Saturday, January 22, 2005

Copy NO!

Discovered a pretty cool thing on the web. This might already be common knowledge, but it's the first I've come across it. I'm just as guilty as anyone of finding a nice piece of artwork or an image on the web and copying it to my hard drive. I only use it for reference purposes, of course. I've created sort of an idea file of images and illustration styles that I like and refer to when I need inspiration. Well, I went to cartoonist Bob Staake's site. Found an image I thought I'd like to tuck away for safe keeping. But when I tried coping it, I got a big red warning symbol which read COPY NO.com. I could not get the image and when I clicked I got a pretty scary warning that using this image without the creators approval could get a brotha in serious legal trouble. You don't have to tell me twice! BRILLIANT!

I only use artwork and images from the internet for research and reference purposes. As an artist with an online portfolio it makes my skin crawl knowing that there are people out there who actually download art from websites and use it for their own personal or commercial gain.

Looks a bit tricky to set up and protect your whole site, but I think its worth the $20 bucks. I'll have to give this a try.

1 comment:

The Archivist said...

This Copy NO thing looks bloody amazing!